[SOLVED] Does psu cause sudden hard freezes?

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
I have psu which is 9 year old, does it causes sudden freeze of Pc?
... I Tried to run pc on integrated graphics it's fine but on Gtx 650 sometimes it run well for 30 min or more and again freeze have to restart whole system...
I think my psu has problem..
My specifications...
Intel Q8400 quad core
8gb ddr3 dual channel
Gtx 650 1gb ddr5
128 ssd
500gb hdd
And I think my psu is not enough for this system...
XtvyLZI.jpg

Solution
I changed psu, gpu, ram still problem

Yeah. A poor PSU can slowly destroy a motherboard over a long period of time.

Though I have seen some REALLY crappy PSUs kill motherboards completely in under a year.

Which sucked for me because that would mean the motherboard was still under warranty. :(

Remeca

Reputable
Even if it was brand new, the PSU you have does not meet the power requirements of your system. I do not know your motherboard, but I will assume it has the standard ATX 24 pin power plug. If it doesn't, you might have to get an adapter. Anyways, what PSU you get depends on your budget, and where you shop. I think the Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze would be more than enough for your system. If it's out of your budget, you could get by with a Corsair CX430, but I wouldn't go lower than that, or skimp on a budget PSU. Those aren't high end ones, just the cheapest OK PSUs you can usually find.

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
Even if it was brand new, the PSU you have does not meet the power requirements of your system. I do not know your motherboard, but I will assume it has the standard ATX 24 pin power plug. If it doesn't, you might have to get an adapter. Anyways, what PSU you get depends on your budget, and where you shop. I think the Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze would be more than enough for your system. If it's out of your budget, you could get by with a Corsair CX430, but I wouldn't go lower than that, or skimp on a budget PSU. Those aren't high end ones, just the cheapest OK PSUs you can usually find.
Thanks for answer :)

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
I haven't seen a PSU that horrible in a long time.

VIP-400R is NOT a good PSU. It wasn't good when it was new. It's worse now. PSU's age. They become worse with age. They cause problems with other parts with age. Just because a PSU powers on, doesn't mean it's working properly. It's a garbage 250W PSU and it needs to be replaced ASAP.
Yes I brought new one Corsair CX430
I hope it fix my freeze,
I think freezing cause because Psu very old not giving enough power to graphic card as well as motherboard..
Does faulty psu cause Overheating of cpu?
My pc freeze even at bios load, widows logo stuck in mid, sometimes display freeze after opening windows...
Sometimes it runs well but next time again freeze...
What u think psu causes problems right?

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
CX430 is not "new". It was replaced with the CX450 about five years ago.

If you really bought a CX430 "new", then be careful. It's been sitting on a shelf for at least five years and caps DO dry out. Especially if the PSU wasn't stored in a climate controlled environment.
Ohhh, I ordered I can cancel too
BTW can u answer my up question like psu can cause freeze etc

Remeca

Reputable
PSU issues are hard to troubleshoot, because unstable voltages and power spikes and insufficient power delivery can cause all kinds of problems in any component. If you're having problems that are hard to diagnose, it's best to start with the PSU.

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
PSU issues are hard to troubleshoot, because unstable voltages and power spikes and insufficient power delivery can cause all kinds of problems in any component. If you're having problems that are hard to diagnose, it's best to start with the PSU.
BTW Guys I changed psu as well as gpu
Still system freeze after some time, in games etc
Even after running with Integrated graphics screen goes black lines or blue lines after some time
So processor can cause freeze?
Or motherboard
Please help me

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
RAM seems like a possible next culprit. Try running with just one ram stick at a time in each slot and see if the issue continues.
I tried that already even tried new ram stick :(
Does dying cpu cause freeze?
As even Pc turned on with integrated graphics
It goes black, blue line after some time

Last edited:

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
No, CPU shouldn't cause issues like that. Do you have integrated graphics, or an alternative video card you can try?
Yes Tried with integrated graphics but It goes like attached pic after some time or frequently
No, CPU shouldn't cause issues like that. Do you have integrated graphics, or an alternative video card you can try?
Yee I tried with integrated graphics which is in cpu right?
But It goes like attached pic
After some time or its frequently View: https://imgur.com/a/nQ2Izur

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
you have a 12 year old system that has been running on a bad quality PSU for a very long time , probably providing it with out of spec amps and volts , it's hard to pinpoint where the damage is , but i won't start with the processor , probably the motherboard and gpu took most of the damage with those out of spec power feed

Saurabh251

Honorable
BANNED
Jun 2, 2017
you have a 12 year old system that has been running on a bad quality PSU for a very long time , probably providing it with out of spec amps and volts , it's hard to pinpoint where the damage is , but i won't start with the processor , probably the motherboard and gpu took most of the damage with those out of spec power feed
I changed psu, gpu, ram still problem