[SOLVED] Does PSU fan size matter in relation to case fan size ?

CryoWolf

Honorable
Aug 20, 2014
The space of 120mm on the bottom is ample for the PSU, the RM750X is a solid PSU and if Im correct the fan wont be on till under a certain amount of load. Because its also a dedicated vent and 120mm, im 99.9% certain it will not sufficate the PSU .

Reactions: Prad_Bitt

Colif

Win 11 Master
The fan in PSU isn't always on for starters, so its not really going to effect the case fans, and if its put in so the fan is facing down, the air it exhausts won't be anywhere near the 2 intake fans.

What do you mean fan under tower? where you installing intake fans at bottom of PC? the vents at bottom rear are for the psu to exhale air through, not intakes.

at least this shows where the fan positions are - https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Focus-series_Product-sheet-1.87-MB.pdf
top - 2 x 120
Front 2 x 120 or 140
rear - 1 x 120
bottom 1 x 120

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Yes, installing in the usual place , right at the back on the ground...

The airflow wont be restricted at all will it ? The specs for my case say 120mm but the rm750x is 135mm.

As long as it definitely wont restrict the air flow I'll buy it

Last edited:
Reactions: simmyx

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
The Focus-G has a spot to mount a 120mm case fan on the bottom in front of the power supply. This has nothing to do with the power supply. Are you confusing the bottom case fan mount with the PSU and its fan. They have nothing to do with each other.

Yes, maybe I am confused there, thank you.
My current Coolermaster is 120mm, the RM750X is 135mm which is also why I asked.

By " Bottom Case Fan " do you mean this ??

If I put the case upside down, the air vents at the bottom are about 120mm. I was concerned that the RM750X fan may have it's exhaust blocked slightly

Yes, maybe I am confused there, thank you.
My current Coolermaster is 120mm, the RM750X is 135mm which is also why I asked.

By " Bottom Case Fan " do you mean this ??

If I put the case upside down, the air vents at the bottom are about 120mm. I was concerned that the RM750X fan may have it's exhaust blocked slightly
I think that's for an SSD mount on the other side of the panel, the part you circled.

Not to worry, you are good.

The fan on a psu is for intake.
If the psu fan needs to run at all, it sends heat out the back.
The value of a 135mm fan on a psu is that it can run slower and quieter.
Most good power supplies are so efficient that the fan never needs to run at all.
The opening on the bottom of your case is plenty adequate for whatever the psu might need.

As you can see, the bottom legs are tall enought o allow airflow under the case.
Do not put the case on a carpet or such that could restrict the airflow.

It looks to me like there may be a filter that can be fitted to the fan area to keep dust out of the psu. Installing one would be a good idea.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
The Focus G comes with one that covers the bottom already.
I threw it away over a year ago because It wouldn't stay in place.
I should get a 120mm fan filter right ? As thats the measurments of the air hole square at the bottom

It was one of these...
71XtCknA-mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not to worry, you are good.

The fan on a psu is for intake.
If the psu fan needs to run at all, it sends heat out the back.
The value of a 135mm fan on a psu is that it can run slower and quieter.
Most good power supplies are so efficient that the fan never needs to run at all.
The opening on the bottom of your case is plenty adequate for whatever the psu might need.

As you can see, the bottom legs are tall enought o allow airflow under the case.
Do not put the case on a carpet or such that could restrict the airflow.

It looks to me like there may be a filter that can be fitted to the fan area to keep dust out of the psu. Installing one would be a good idea.

Yeah I plan on getting a tower stand to take it off the carpet.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
The Focus-G has a spot to mount a 120mm case fan on the bottom in front of the power supply. This has nothing to do with the power supply. Are you confusing the bottom case fan mount with the PSU and its fan. They have nothing to do with each other.

Where exactly is this 120mm case fan on the bottom ? Is it outside the case or inside ?

Do you mean here??

Where exactly is this 120mm case fan on the bottom ? Is it outside the case or inside ?

Do you mean here??
No. It's inside the case in front of the PSU. The fan mount is partially covered by the hard drive tray. It looks like you'd have to remove the hard drive tray to use it. Check this graphic. You can ignore it since you probably don't need it. I don't know if you could mount the fan on the bottom outside the case.

a8_101217.jpg