[SOLVED] Does push pull really help???

orestis151

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Hey guys! I need your opinion on something. I have the threadripper 2950x, the nzxt kraken x72 aio as well as the asus 2080ti strix oc all inside the phanteks enthoo evolv atx tg. I’ve noticed that my cpu runs a bit hot . I mean idle temp is about 42 degrees Celsius but it often spikes to 55 degrees Celsius with very low cpu usage(5-7 percent) and a couple of seconds later it goes down to 42 again. When playing games cpu temps vary from 55 to 65 degrees (sometimes 70 for seconds) . Also because the cpu cooler is mounted at the front of the case my gpu idles at 52 degrees celsius while gaming it hits 79-80 degrees.

So what could I do in order to improve my cpu and gpu temps??? Would a push pull configuration help? Should I buy 3 Corsair ll 120 fans ( I like these fans and I’ve heard they’re good) and use them with my existing nzxt fans to make a push pull configuration???

Note that: 1) I would love to put my cpu and gpu in a custom loop but watercooling voids gpu warranty and it seems pretty risky.

2) removing the front panel result in about 4-5 degrees lower cpu temp.

3)my cpu is not overclocked

Thanks in advance!

Solution
"When playing games cpu temps vary from 55 to 65 degrees (sometimes 70 for seconds) "
"Ambient temp is 25-26 degrees Celsius "

I don't see anything that needs to be done, except maybe the whole case airflow.
Well....first....I don't think you're hurting anything as is....which is good.
....but if it were me....I'd like the idle temps about 10C lower if I could get there.

What I would try is.....run with the case open and blow a desk fan or something similar in there from about 2 feet away or so (nothing crazy.....just get the air moving in there with the case open).

This will give you an idea as far as what is likely "the best you can do with fans and the case closed".

....and then add fans and try to get there.

I use two pushers on the front....and three pullers on the top and one on the back at the top and my 7800X idles at about 30C and maybe hits 60C under load with a Coolermaster V8 cooler.

My RTX2080 Ti hits about 80C under load.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... idle temp is about 42 degrees Celsius but it often spikes to 55 degrees Celsius with very low cpu usage(5-7 percent) and a couple of seconds later it goes down to 42 again ...
Q: At what ambient temperature?

... I'd like the idle temps about 10C lower ... my 7800X idles at about 30C ...

Members write into our Forums who live anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator, so ambient (room) temperatures might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). Since ambient temperature directly affects Core temperatures it can be a HUGE variable, so it's always necessary to include ambient with your computer specs. If you don't say and no one asks, then Members assume your ambient is "normal", for which the international "standard" is 22°C or 72°F.

To properly analyze Core temperatures, you need to list the 3 major variables; environment (ambient temperature), hardware (parts installed) and software (thermal tests). Without first knowing these variables, apples-to-apples comparisons are reduced to thermal fruit salad in a blender.

CT :sol:

It would be great to know what case you are using. I have my current setup with a push pull configuration on a heavily overclocked 8700K and the Corsair 150i Pro 360mm AIO in push pull....Yes it has made a difference but not that great of a difference, around 5 C when under load but I have a very good airflow case in the Cooler Master H500P Mesh which I have to admit makes the greatest difference in keeping everything cool and at idle it bounces between 27 to 29 degrees C...though living in the UK also has a lot to do with that!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Members write into our Forums who live anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator, so ambient (room) temperatures might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F). Since ambient temperature directly affects Core temperatures it can be a HUGE variable, so it's always necessary to include ambient with your computer specs. If you don't say and no one asks, then Members assume your ambient is "normal", for which the international "standard" is 22°C or 72°F.

To properly analyze Core temperatures, you need to list the 3 major variables; environment (ambient temperature), hardware (parts installed) and software (thermal tests). Without first knowing these variables, apples-to-apples comparisons are reduced to thermal fruit salad in a blender.

Agree very much.

Without knowing ambient room temperature, reported core temperatures have little meaning because thermal delta occurs as an offset based on ambient temperature.

orestis151

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018

... I'd like the idle temps about 10C lower ... my 7800X idles at about 30C ...

Ambient temp is about 25-26 degrees Celsius