[SOLVED] Does quality of USB 3.0 Hub matter?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I see some usb 3.0 hubs that are up to 5 times the price depending on the brand.

Doe s it matter at all or is this just marketing and fancier hub design?

Is a hub from a less known brand as good as a Belkin or more high end ones?

Solution

Potentially. The more "known" brands are less likely to have an outright 'bad' product - and almost certainly will have better QC.

However, those "known" brands are known due to longevity, reputation & marketing. Two pronged approach that they feel they can charge more due to longevity & reputation, and have to charge more on products to offset marketing costs that smaller companies don't necessarily have.

I wouldn't have too many reservations buying a 'cheap' hub as, provided it works & performs to 3.0 speeds (or hits the max expected performance of a drive connected to it), then it just works. Longevity may be a concern, but that's...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Potentially. The more "known" brands are less likely to have an outright 'bad' product - and almost certainly will have better QC.

However, those "known" brands are known due to longevity, reputation & marketing. Two pronged approach that they feel they can charge more due to longevity & reputation, and have to charge more on products to offset marketing costs that smaller companies don't necessarily have.

I wouldn't have too many reservations buying a 'cheap' hub as, provided it works & performs to 3.0 speeds (or hits the max expected performance of a drive connected to it), then it just works. Longevity may be a concern, but that's the unknown quantity.

Solution

popatim

Titan
Often, IMO, it's a matter of warranty. With Belkin & such, you'll actually get a replacement. With some lesser known brand, you might not or the cost to ship it back to where it was made, at your expense, makes it not worth your time so they know you won't be bothering them for a replacement and can charge half price.