[SOLVED] Does ram increase integrated graphics performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2021
i have a i3 m370 @ 2.4 ghz. it has intel hd graphics. does increasing laptop ram increase performance of the computer. i have 3gb right now. will upgrading to 8gb be better? i am running windows 10 64bit

Solution
I believe OP have single 4 GB RAM module in his system where last GB is taken by iGPU. Windows 10 alone take 1,5-2 GB. Remain is enough for web browsing and office software. But if you want to play games like Roblox you mentioned etc., you will need to add next 4 GB eq. another 4 GB RAM module.

ok so this is gonna be my last question if i run dual channel mode will it increase performance

Dual channel mode for RAM is always faster than single channel mode. So yes. But check if added module have at least same speed (frequency, CL number) because system will work in a speed of slower RAM module.
First of all, 3gb is not a good amount of ram to run windows.
Secondly, increasing your ram to 8gb alone wont do the trick, you need dual channel ram meaning you want to have 2 sticks of RAM preferably of the same capacity. This will increase performance for sure.
Lastly, if you expect your current CPU with iGPU to start running demanding games once you upgrade to dual channel then that wont be possible, you can expect upto a 20% increase in performance going from single channel to dual channel but nothing more.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Isn't there any method to make the system use all the RAM attached in the system ?

No. That's like giving someone 50 sheets of paper to write a 100 word essay and you must use all 50 sheets.

A system will only use as much as is needed at any given time. For instance, I have 16GB of RAM installed in my system. Typically, it will only use between 5GB and 12GB of the 16GB installed. There is no reason for it to use any more (until I start using more programs simultaneously).

-Wolf sends

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Isn't there any method to make the system use all the RAM attached in the system ?

Thats not how this works. If the software you are running doesn't need all the ram you have, then adding MORE ram isn't going to help anything. However if the software you are running IS using all of your ram, then adding more may help performance. This is dependent upon the software/game you are running.

If you have additional questions we request that you start your own thread rather than take over this one.

Jan 31, 2021
First of all, 3gb is not a good amount of ram to run windows.
Secondly, increasing your ram to 8gb alone wont do the trick, you need dual channel ram meaning you want to have 2 sticks of RAM preferably of the same capacity. This will increase performance for sure.
Lastly, if you expect your current CPU with iGPU to start running demanding games once you upgrade to dual channel then that wont be possible, you can expect upto a 20% increase in performance going from single channel to dual channel but nothing more.
i am gonna get two 4gb stick of same size will it increase performance
i want to run roblox with good fps (ik its trash game)

I believe OP have single 4 GB RAM module in his system where last GB is taken by iGPU. Windows 10 alone take 1,5-2 GB. Remain is enough for web browsing and office software. But if you want to play games like Roblox you mentioned etc., you will need to add next 4 GB eq. another 4 GB RAM module.

ok so this is gonna be my last question if i run dual channel mode will it increase performance

Dual channel mode for RAM is always faster than single channel mode. So yes. But check if added module have at least same speed (frequency, CL number) because system will work in a speed of slower RAM module.

Solution
Jan 31, 2021

thank you for ur answer

Wolfshadw

Titan
  1. There's no guarantee that your system even supports dual-channel mode. If it does, great. You may or may not notice any performance improvement. If not, your system will run in single channel mode.
  2. As has been stated multiple times already. Yes. Adding RAM to your system WILL improve system performance. Your integrated graphics of your CPU (even as old as yours is) uses system memory. With only 3GB of system memory installed, your system is almost certainly running out of available RAM. This causes your system to slow down. Adding more system memory WILL alleviate this issue to some extent.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.