[SOLVED] Does RAM size (8 or 16gb) matter in relation to monitor refresh rate?

jimmy_the_dude

Prominent
May 12, 2018
Hello, my brother is building a computer and also needs a monitor. For his RAM, I will be purchasing 16gb for myself and selling my old 8gb stick to him. We also found a great deal on a 144hz monitor. He will be purchasing it, but we are unsure about him being able to run 144hz - as his friends keep telling him that 8gb of RAM will not support 144hz.

Is that legitimate?

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Hey!
Your pc is the engine that runs the monitor. The hertz of the monitor is linked to the amount of FPS that you can get in games.
Think like this ; If you have a 144hz monitor, you want a pc that can give you up to 144fps in a game

Therefore, the ram is only a small portion of the equation. Your graphics card/cpu-- all parts need to be on a level which can support up to 144fps in the games that you'd like to play

So partially , its true. And I'd definitely recommend 16gb ram for a future proof build, considering the increasing amount of ram requirements of the upcoming games.

To clarify further ; If I get a 144hz monitor when I have a pc build that can only go up to 60FPS in my favourite game, my monitor is wasted. So I really need a decent cpu, graphics card, enough ram.

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Hey!
Your pc is the engine that runs the monitor. The hertz of the monitor is linked to the amount of FPS that you can get in games.
Think like this ; If you have a 144hz monitor, you want a pc that can give you up to 144fps in a game

Therefore, the ram is only a small portion of the equation. Your graphics card/cpu-- all parts need to be on a level which can support up to 144fps in the games that you'd like to play

So partially , its true. And I'd definitely recommend 16gb ram for a future proof build, considering the increasing amount of ram requirements of the upcoming games.

To clarify further ; If I get a 144hz monitor when I have a pc build that can only go up to 60FPS in my favourite game, my monitor is wasted. So I really need a decent cpu, graphics card, enough ram.

jimmy_the_dude

Prominent
May 12, 2018
Hey!

Thanks for the input. I am sure he will get more RAM in the future. Here is the build (give or take a few minor changes I did not update), https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gostman87/saved/CNfXvK, so I am sure he will able to get 144 frames on most games.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS