[SOLVED] Does RAM speed and timings affect performance in everyday use

mmmmmaaaarrrcco

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
Hi everybody, i was wondering if for a home use of the pc, like watching youtube videos, programming, surfing the net, and things like these, RAM speed and timings really make any difference.
In particular, i'm referring to multitasking and using a lot of open tabs on the browser.
For example, in this scenario, will i notice even a minor difference using a 2400 MHz cl16 kit vs. a 3000 MHz cl16 kit?
Thank you and sorry if i'm not clear, but english in not my first language.

Solution
Yes Dual Channel RAM is a LOT faster than single channel RAM and will definitely make a noticeable difference with a Ryzen based PC.
Just Be sure to check the Memory Compatibility list (QVL) for whatever motherboard you choose and buy a 2x4 GB kit they list as compatible to be 100% sure it will run as fast as possible.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Like 13thMonkey said, on a Ryzen based system you will notice a slight decrease in performance when using 2133 or 2400 MHz RAM vs 3000 or 3200 MHz RAM.
On my PC (see my signature for my full specs), I do notice a difference when I run my RAM at 2133 MHz even when just web browsing, etc. My PC just doesn't feel as snappy with my RAM running at 2133 MHz.
The difference between 3200 MHz and 3400 MHz is not noticeable except in benchmarks.

Reactions: mmmmmaaaarrrcco

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
RAM will help you do things like open this Hubble legacy field tiff (which you can zoom in to QUITE FAR) in a few seconds (about 11 seconds in my case, 32 gigs G.Skill DDR4 3200).

But frankly my brand new build with a Ryzen 5 2600X and 1660 TI is really no better for streaming movies and music than my old desktop which was an A10-5800K apu with an R9-380 2 gig gpu. I probably should buy cheaper kit but I like to aim for the upper end of the middle tier of gaming stuff so that my build is not hopelessly obsolete in five years, just regular obsolete.

Greg N

mmmmmaaaarrrcco

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
What CPU and Motherboard do you have ???
If you have an Intel CPU 2x4 2667 MHz RAM is a good choice if your motherboard supports that speed RAM.
I haven't bought anything yet, i'm still with my FX-6300, but i found a great deal on a Ryzen 3 1200. I know it's "old", but in future i can switch to a R5 2600 or 3600

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
A Ryzen 3 1200 on a B350 or B450 MB isn't too bad.
If your choice is between a 1x8 GB or 2x4 GB kit, I recommend that you get the 2x4 GB kit in the fastest speed that an afford.
The 2x4 GB kit will run in dual channel mode which is a LOT faster than 1 8 GB RAM stick in single channel mode.

mmmmmaaaarrrcco

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
A Ryzen 3 1200 on a B350 or B450 MB isn't too bad.
If your choice is between a 1x8 GB or 2x4 GB kit, I recommend that you get the 2x4 GB kit in the fastest speed that an afford.
The 2x4 GB kit will run in dual channel mode which is a LOT faster than 1 8 GB RAM stick in single channel mode.
Thank you, just two question. Better chossing 2x4 even if the motherboard have only 2 slots? Dual channel really make difference in everyday use? (i have a r9 270, but now i play way less, so gaming it's absolutely not a priority)

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes Dual Channel RAM is a LOT faster than single channel RAM and will definitely make a noticeable difference with a Ryzen based PC.
Just Be sure to check the Memory Compatibility list (QVL) for whatever motherboard you choose and buy a 2x4 GB kit they list as compatible to be 100% sure it will run as fast as possible.

Solution

mmmmmaaaarrrcco

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
Thanks you all!