Question Does RAM speed matter as much at 4K resolution compared to 1080p?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Hello.

I recently built a PC that was intended for both productivity and gaming.

I have a 7950X3d, 4090, and 64GB (4 X 16GB) of Corsair Dominator 6600 C32 RAM.

Prior to building the PC, I did not realize that four RAM modules would have severe stability issues on AM5.

Anyway, I found this video to see the optimal RAM speed and timings for my processor:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2rubC5oCY

Initially I tried setting my RAM to DDR5 6000 (CL 30-38-38-96). I did not change the voltage or secondary timings because I am not that well versed in tuning memory. Please let me know if this is a problem. The default voltage was 1.4V.

Regardless, after using MemTest86, my RAM initially appeared to be stable. I had no problem doing doing any productivity tasks or running games.

This was until I started playing Battlefield 2042. The game would sometimes crash. Sometimes it would just close, and sometimes it would cause a blue screen and my PC would shut off.

I then cleared my CMOS and ran my RAM at the factory speeds (I think it was at 4800 with loose timings). Then I had no problems playing Battlefield 2042.

I still wasn't happy because I paid for 6600 C32 RAM and was hoping to get more out of it.

I then referred to the QVL list of my motherboard (ROG Crosshair X670E Hero) and saw that it supported 4 X 16GB Kingston RAM at 6000 40-40-40-80. Obviously I have Corsair RAM but I decided to give it a shot because the Kingston RAM uses SK Hynix and from my understanding, my Corsair RAM set is also SK Hynix. I don't know if this means much but I gave it a shot.

I tried it out, and yet again Battlefield was crashing. I then tried increasing my voltages from increments of 0.25. I went from 1.4V to 1.425V to 1.45V to 1.475V to 1.5V.

I thought increasing RAM voltage was supposed to make RAM more stable. Anyway, as I kept increasing the voltage, I noticed Battlefield was crashing more and more frequently. Once I went to 1.475V, I was blue screening before even launching the game. Once I went to 1.5V, I was blue screening before I even fully booted up Windows.

I looked back at the QVL list and I saw that the supported 4 X 16GB Kingston RAM at 6000 40-40-40-80 was set at 1.35V.

Since increasing my voltage was making me more unstable, I thought it was worth a try lowering my voltage.

Anyway, I lowered my voltage to 1.35V and I am finally getting a stable 6000 40-40-40-80. Battlefield runs no problem.

Anyway, after getting my RAM speed stable from 4800 to 6000, I noticed that the FPS gains were marginal (if not negligible).

Does RAM speed matter that much at 4K resolution?

I don't want to leave any performance off the table. Do you think it is worth trying tighter timings at 1.35V or is this a recipe for disaster? I would like to tryout 6000 30-38-38-96 at 1.35V. Do you think this is feasible, or should I just cut my losses and stick with what works?

Endre

Honorable
Hello.

I recently built a PC that was intended for both productivity and gaming.

I have a 7950X3d, 4090, and 64GB (4 X 16GB) of Corsair Dominator 6600 C32 RAM.

Prior to building the PC, I did not realize that four RAM modules would have severe stability issues on AM5.

Anyway, I found this video to see the optimal RAM speed and timings for my processor:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2rubC5oCY

Initially I tried setting my RAM to DDR5 6000 (CL 30-38-38-96). I did not change the voltage or secondary timings because I am not that well versed in tuning memory. Please let me know if this is a problem. The default voltage was 1.4V.

Regardless, after using MemTest86, my RAM initially appeared to be stable. I had no problem doing doing any productivity tasks or running games.

This was until I started playing Battlefield 2042. The game would sometimes crash. Sometimes it would just close, and sometimes it would cause a blue screen and my PC would shut off.

I then cleared my CMOS and ran my RAM at the factory speeds (I think it was at 4800 with loose timings). Then I had no problems playing Battlefield 2042.

I still wasn't happy because I paid for 6600 C32 RAM and was hoping to get more out of it.

I then referred to the QVL list of my motherboard (ROG Crosshair X670E Hero) and saw that it supported 4 X 16GB Kingston RAM at 6000 40-40-40-80. Obviously I have Corsair RAM but I decided to give it a shot because the Kingston RAM uses SK Hynix and from my understanding, my Corsair RAM set is also SK Hynix. I don't know if this means much but I gave it a shot.

I tried it out, and yet again Battlefield was crashing. I then tried increasing my voltages from increments of 0.25. I went from 1.4V to 1.425V to 1.45V to 1.475V to 1.5V.

I thought increasing RAM voltage was supposed to make RAM more stable. Anyway, as I kept increasing the voltage, I noticed Battlefield was crashing more and more frequently. Once I went to 1.475V, I was blue screening before even launching the game. Once I went to 1.5V, I was blue screening before I even fully booted up Windows.

I looked back at the QVL list and I saw that the supported 4 X 16GB Kingston RAM at 6000 40-40-40-80 was set at 1.35V.

Since increasing my voltage was making me more unstable, I thought it was worth a try lowering my voltage.

Anyway, I lowered my voltage to 1.35V and I am finally getting a stable 6000 40-40-40-80. Battlefield runs no problem.

Anyway, after getting my RAM speed stable from 4800 to 6000, I noticed that the FPS gains were marginal (if not negligible).

Does RAM speed matter that much at 4K resolution?

I don't want to leave any performance off the table. Do you think it is worth trying tighter timings at 1.35V or is this a recipe for disaster? I would like to tryout 6000 30-38-38-96 at 1.35V. Do you think this is feasible, or should I just cut my losses and stick with what works?
Hello!

On AMD's AM5, and also on Intel's LGA1700, the optimal configuration is to only use 2 memory modules inserted in slots: 2+4 (A2+B2), because it's a daisy chain configuration (unlike the T-topology config.).

So, I'd go with a 2x32GB QVL kit.

Last edited:
Take out two sticks. use just 32gb ram, You will then be able to run at 6600mhz. You won't notice any difference when doing work, and you should notice minor improvement in fps and hopefully run stabe. People do not realize DDr5 with 4 sticks does not work at higher mhz that you paid for.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I should have clarified.

I will absolutely not remove two sticks of RAM. That is not an option. I paid for 64GB of RAM because I need it.

In addition, I already purchased the RAM and can no longer return it. I know in hindsight I should have purchased a 2 X 32GB QVL kit. However, it is too late for that now.

The purpose of the post is to seek tips to further optimize the RAM (if it is worth it). It is currently stable at 6000 CL 40-40-40-80 after I lowered the voltage to 1.35V.

The ideal configuration for the 7950X3D based on my research is 6000 CL 30-38-38-96.

I am not expecting to achieve this, however, I would like to at least try (or try to get as close as possible).

I know very little about overclocking and tuning RAM. This is why I am seeking tips.

If this does not sound feasible, or if it will not make a big difference, please let me know.

TRENDING THREADS