[SOLVED] Does re-assembling a 5 year old workstation boost performance?

Junior admin

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
Hi All,

I am using a 4.5 years old DELL Precision T5820 workstation. Recently one of the HDD got crashed, while changing the HDD I noticed too much of dust inside the chassis.
For urgency sake i haven't cleaned that, just replaced the HDD and continued my work. As of now system is being stable and working good.
My question here is, If i reassemble the workstation by cleaning the dusts will it help to boost performance or it's a waste of time other than getting a dust free PC.
Suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Junior

Solution
The answer varies.
Technically speaking, no it will never "boost" performance.
Your system could be overheating and thermal throttling, resulting in worse performance. By cleaning it, you regain lost performance assuming it was degraded in the first place.
There is always a chance of hardware damage when working in a system, but its very easy to avoid.

Junior admin

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
You should be removing dust on a regular schedule in order to keep temps in check. Dust is like an insulating blanket holding heat in as well as to interfere with airflow.
Thanks for the suggestion., but still my question is will it boost the performance? Or there is a chance i may face some hardware related issues while re-assembling it, as t his 4.5 years old workstation.

The answer varies.
Your system could be overheating and thermal throttling, resulting in worse performance. By cleaning it, you regain lost performance assuming it was degraded in the first place.
There is always a chance of hardware damage when working in a system, but its very easy to avoid.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thanks for the suggestion., but still my question is will it boost the performance? Or there is a chance i may face some hardware related issues while re-assembling it, as t his 4.5 years old workstation.

There is no need to dis-assemble the PC for every cleaning. Generally, that is only done when you need to deep clean the PC.

I typically drop the side panels, take the PC out to the driveway and I personally use a low powered electric leaf blower on mine. There are specialty blowers you can purchase, or canned air. Don't use a compressor unless it is already outfitted with a good water/oil filter, and don't use a vacuum cleaner.

One simple measure to take in order to drastically reduce the amount of dust getting in a pc cabinet is to simply lift it some few inches from the floor. For my work station, I made a simple stool for it that keep it about 6-7' from the floor. It now collects almost no dust compared to what it did before.

Reactions: punkncat

Junior admin

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
The answer varies.
Thanks, This is what i was looking for :), So i can regain the performance in case of if it was reduced.

Junior admin

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
One simple measure to take in order to drastically reduce the amount of dust getting in a pc cabinet is to simply lift it some few inches from the floor. For my work station, I made a simple stool for it that keep it about 6-7' from the floor. It now collects almost no dust compared to what it did before.
Thanks, i'll try this as well to avoid dust.