Question Does Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC support DFS 5Ghz band?

nostob

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I have a Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC

Just wondering whether it is supposed to support DFS 5Ghz bands or not. I did a first test and it appears not, but wanted to check, or if a driver config topic

The DFS bands are a mess, It tends to be almost impossible to do much testing because of how they work you can't actually manually set them. Making it even worse is there are likely different models that support the different rules for different countries.
I know it is not just a driver that restricts say using channel 13 on the 2.4g band. Many years ago you used to just load a driver or router firmware from a different country. Now it seems these restrictions are done at manufacture time. What is unclear is if
there is actually a different part number. Maybe there are some special extra letters or numbers on the chips but they seem to still call them all the same part.

The only way I know to test this would be to get a router that uses "auto" mode and selected these channels on its own. You to some extent can force the router to select these channels by taking a different router that lets you put in multiple SSID and put in a large number of the channels you don't want the router to select hopefully tricking it into using the DFS channels.

So if you have another device that works so you know for sure that the router is using the DFS bands and the USB nic does not even detect the SSID there likely is a restriction. BUT it appears to be a manufacturing limitation not a driver and it is highly likely there are multiple hardware part numbers that are not obvious.

Jan 26, 2023
I use unifi AP's which actually allow me to select a DFS band. Never did it beofre. When I do it appears the ios devices connect. The Realtek 8812BU PC did not.

I am having the same issue. All of my devices with built-in WiFi (iOS, Android, laptop) seem fine. I downloaded and installed a 8812BU driver. My WiFi on the DFS frequency does not show up in the Windows list.