Does removing the BIOS remove BIOS updates?

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi,

I have an Intel 975XBX motherboard with an E6600, and a 7950GX2.

I've been overclocking recently, and unfortunately went a bit too far. This meant i had to reset the CMOS to get the settings back to default. It was late last night, so I thought, hey i'll just leave the battery out overnight.

When I put it back in this morning, it switches on, beeps 3 times, and I get no output.

The original BIOS that came with this motherboard isn't compatible with the 7950GX2, and I had to do a BIOS update when I first got it to be able to use it. I had no spare PCI-E card so I borrowed an old PCI card.

My question is, is it possible that this removal of the battery has cleared the BIOS back down to the original one that came with the motherboard? Or is this error more likely to be caused by something else?

I don't still have that PCI graphics card, and i'm reluctant to go and buy anything without first ensuring that I've expored all other avenues.

Incidentally, when I put the jumper on the motherboard to the advanced configuration setting, the pc switches on, but i don't get the beeps, and still no screen output.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
ah heck, i've just looked at the title of this post, ignore my thickness, the first "BIOS" should have been "Battery".

It's early.

randomizer

Champion
When you flash the BIOS you overwrite the previous version, so no, it hasn't reverted it (unless there is a backup somewhere I know some gigabyte boards had 2 BIOSs). Try switching the Init Display Device (or similar) from PCI to PCIe and then give it a go.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately as I get no output to the screen, I can't go into the BIOS to be able to change the Init Display Device.

Is there any other way of ensuring that it's not trying to use PCI to output graphics?

Cheers,

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
nit picky question, you didn't mention it so i can't assume you did, but when you removed the battery overnight, did you ALSO have the pc unplugged?

Valis

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear.

When I first got the motherboard, it wasn't compatible with my 7950GX2, and I borrowed a PCI graphics card to be able to update the BIOS, which I have now given back, and i'm unable to acquire again.

And yes, when i took the battery out, I also had the computer completely unplugged.

Cheers

TeknoJnky

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
does removing the battery remove the bios?

No.

It simply clears the settings/date/time/etc.

If it was not compatible with your 7950gx2 before, then it probably still isnt.