[SOLVED] Does removing

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
the heatsink from the NVME SSD for CPU cooler compatibility and space reasons, inevitably lead to the NVME overheating? I have an open case btw.

Solution
Running hotter? Probably.

How hot is overheating? Mine has never throttled and I don't use a heatsink. It normally runs 6 or 8 degrees hotter than a standard SSD.

To the point of being damaged or shortening life expectancy of the drive? Hard to ever prove that. The NVMe drives I know of throttle by design at a certain temp. That may not calm your nerves.

Generation 4 and 5 drives run hotter than Generation 3.

If you are worried about it, you'd have to make a judgement about the trade-offs.....keep the heatsink regardless of the compatibility and space issues....or don't.
Running hotter? Probably.

How hot is overheating? Mine has never throttled and I don't use a heatsink. It normally runs 6 or 8 degrees hotter than a standard SSD.

To the point of being damaged or shortening life expectancy of the drive? Hard to ever prove that. The NVMe drives I know of throttle by design at a certain temp. That may not calm your nerves.

Generation 4 and 5 drives run hotter than Generation 3.

If you are worried about it, you'd have to make a judgement about the trade-offs.....keep the heatsink regardless of the compatibility and space issues....or don't.

Reactions: nbartolo7
Solution