Does response time affect the smoothness of video playback?

Feb 3, 2019
Does response time affect the smoothness of video playback?
I recently upgraded my PC as well as my monitor...or so I thought.
I had an AOC 5ms TN panel which despite the washed out colours played videos smoothly without issue.
My current monitor is the Dell P2419H which has a 8ms IPS panel. Every video that use to play properly on my 5ms TN panel now has significant ghosting.
I've tested my old system on the Dell P2419H and the issue is still there so that rules out my new system's GPU.
Both monitors have refresh rates of 60Hz.

Looking forward to feedback from this forum.

Thanks,
Chris

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
With regard to your first question; Response time is how fast the monitor dislays what the pixels the Graphics Card provides. It shouldn't affect it. There may be a slight difference but unless you're are a monitor superman you won't notice anything.

Ghosting shouldn't be noticeable for response times less than 10ms (Ghosting that happens from low response times). What cable are you using? If it is VGA then try connecting HDMI or DVI as it may resolve the issue here.

From other solutions on the site, it is usually the cable that causes the ghosting. Could you try using an HDMI or DVI cable and then let me know if the problem still exists.

Other than that you may need to change some settings here and there on your Graphic Settings

Response time is how fast the monitor can change from one state to a different state,like form complete dark to complete light or one color to an other,manufacturers always only promote the best of these times,which usually is some gray to gray response time while complete dark to complete light might be much worse,if the 8ms is gray to gray then the ghosting can very well be caused by the response time.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

Oof, I confused it with the Hz (refresh rate). I'm extremely sorry for my misleading description.