[SOLVED] Does "restore point" preserve the old drivers?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Let's say all is well but you have a hankering to get a new gpu and do a clean install per instructions elsewhere on this site. If, before embarking on this adventure, you create a "restore point" would that get you back to the old drivers and set up if for any reason you screw up the driver installation process?

I don't recall reading anything about a restore point prior to driver install in the instructions. The focus there was on using Safe Mode.

thanks,
Greg N

USAFRet

Titan
Let's say all is well but you have a hankering to get a new gpu and do a clean install per instructions elsewhere on this site. If, before embarking on this adventure, you create a "restore point" would that get you back to the old drivers and set up if for any reason you screw up the driver installation process?

I don't recall reading anything about a restore point prior to driver install in the instructions. The focus there was on using Safe Mode.

thanks,
Greg N
By definition, a "clean install" wipes out everything on the drive, including previously created "restore points".

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
So is the use of "clean install" in this article (A Tom's Hardware how-to) a mistake, or am I misunderstanding, and the intent is to do a full wipe of drive, reinstallation of OS, and then get the DDU and the drivers and go from there. It seems to me that very few people would upgrade their cards if this was the situation. But I could be wrong. People go to great lengths to nourish their cards.

Greg N

USAFRet

Titan
So is the use of "clean install" in this article (A Tom's Hardware how-to) a mistake, or am I misunderstanding, and the intent is to do a full wipe of drive, reinstallation of OS, and then get the DDU and the drivers and go from there. It seems to me that very few people would upgrade their cards if this was the situation. But I could be wrong. People go to great lengths to nourish their cards.

Greg N
That tutorial only refers to the GPU drivers.
Yes, DDU is a wise move.

The 'other' clean install refers to the whole OS. Which is not necessary in this case.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well PC World offers this definition:

"A completely new installation of an operating system or application on a computer. In a clean install of an OS, the hard disk is formatted and completely erased. In a clean install of an application, the older version is uninstalled first. Installing an OS on a new computer or installing an application for the first time is automatically a clean install. Contrast with "in-place upgrade." (emphasis added)

So maybe there can be a clean install of the app in this case the drives without a clean install of the OS?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
For your GPU, this:

Yes that's the same link I posted above in message #7. :) And that's why I was using the phrase "clean install" for drivers only. So to get back to the topic, it would appear that there is no reason not to do a restore point before going through the routine described in that article.

Thanks,
Greg N

USAFRet

Titan
Yes that's the same link I posted above in message #7. :) And that's why I was using the phrase "clean install" for drivers only. So to get back to the topic, it would appear that there is no reason not to do a restore point before going through the routine described in that article.

Thanks,
Greg N
Right, that same link.

The confusion came in with "clean install", with no qualifications.
That would generally refer to a 'clean install' of the OS.

Now that we're beyond that, yes....Create a System Restore point before you start.
And know how to recover from that.

Reactions: gn842a