[SOLVED] Does RGB lighting have to be connected?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I'm planning an i7-9700k build with a Gigabyte z390 Designare motherboard. This machine is being built.

No offense intended toward anyone who's into this stuff, but can I tell the builder to just not bother connecting any RGB lighting? Will everything else function normally without RGB lighting?

I'll have a windowless case and really want to keep things simple. Not into extra lights at all.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
You absolutely do Not need to connect any RGB lighting if you don't want to.
Great--thanks. It's funny: I googled this and it seems I'm very much alone in not really caring for this. (The machine will have a 140 mm fan on the front behind a grill and the last thing I want is a disco effect while I'm working.)

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Respectable
Apr 17, 2019
Great--thanks. It's funny: I googled this and it seems I'm very much alone in not really caring for this. (The machine will have a 140 mm fan on the front behind a grill and the last thing I want is a disco effect while I'm working.)
I definitely understand.
I personally do have some RGB strips in my PC case but I only use a single static color (I switch between Blue and Red when the mood strikes me) .
Any of the other effects I could use just don't appeal to me.

I definitely understand.
I personally do have some RGB strips in my PC case but I only use a single static color (I switch between Blue and Red when the mood strikes me) .
Any of the other effects I could use just don't appeal to me.
Same. I have an LED strip and some LEDs on my motherboard.

LED strip is solid white and the motherboard and GPU are static red. Flashing LEDs is distracting.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the replies--glad to see I'm not alone. The last video game I played was Pong in a bar....I can understand the the lights if you've got a windowed case and you want to show it off. But my machines are always more like workstations.

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
There's a maybe. Some fans come rgb but only 1 wire, so to have the fan work means rgb also gets connected. However, there's almost always a switch in the case or software that'll enable you to turn it off. Rgb/argb/rgb strips/rgbw strips are not standardized like 3pin or 4pin fans, so it's a case by case basis as to its actual control.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the warning. I'm using Noctua Quiet fans all around and don't think any of them are RGB. But I saw in the Designare manual mention of RGB, which is why I asked.

Gfost73

Great
Mar 23, 2019
your not alone , I dont care for RGB lights either, I dont mind single colors but cant stand that flashing unicorn barf they all seem to do now

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS