Question Does running the desktop on silent fan mode cause it to throttle?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I have an i5-8400 with no graphics card, no gaming.

Idle is about 40c, moderate load 60 and heavy load 80-85, I live in Thailand, so hot climate, about 30c average ambient.

Stock intel fan was getting a little loud over 50-60 c, So I went in the bios and set my AzRock Z370 pro4 to silent mode. Immediately, the PC runs totally quiet, I have CoreTemp installed, and temperatures are identical to standard fan mode.

So conclusively, no need to buy a CPU cooler, because this runs super quiet and very cool also...

But this sounds too good to be true...How can the CPU run cool on silent mode, super quiet on stock Intel? I suspect they throttle? Is this possible under 80c?

Does the silent fan mode throttle the CPU even under 80 c?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to monitor the voltages on the CPU if you want to prove your theory about thermal throttling(which happens when power to the CPU is reduced and the core clocks are also limited to reduce heat dump). What sort of load do you tax the system with?

Speaking of system, what are your specs? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
i5-8400
As RockZ 370 pro4
Evo 970 plus nvme
ThermalTake power supply 450
Windows 10 64 bit
No graphics card

The load is opening a lot of tabs, and running macros and heavy excel sheets, also running VirtualBox, Photoshop, AI, etc...

All productivity stuff, cpu chugs alone fine as usual, goes to 3.9 on turbo, temps go up to 80 under full load, same as before, but totally quiet!