Question Does rx570 work whit my old pcie2 motherboard

S987644

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I currently have a gt730 and I want to go a rx570 but i don't know if it'll work on my motherboard

My system :
Motherboard: h81m-s2pt rev.1.1 and its ultra durable plus 4 (its a mini)
CPU:g3240 (I plan on buying an i5 4460 whit the gpu)
Ram:8gb(2×4)
PSU:green gp580b
And I also read about the 6pin and 8 pin my PSU has 6pin but I have to also get a cable to turn it into 8pin but I don't know which one is the 6pin

Last edited:

Is that a PSU brand/company ? Never heard about this, but it looks like some low-end PSU to me. You MUST upgrade your PSU. If it lacks sufficient PCI-E cables, then it was not meant to power up GPUs requiring at least a min 6-PIN, but most importantly you have a very poor quality PSU. Simple as that.....http://www.green-case.com/products/power/power.php?model=GP580B

Just to echo what "Phillip Corcoran" has just said, PCI-E is backwards compatible, meaning even if your Motherboard supports gen 2.0, any gen 3.0 GPU will also work on that same board.

Also, there won't be any performance drop whatsoever (you won't even notice it while gaming).

All PCI Express versions are backward and forward compatible, meaning no matter what version the PCIe card or your motherboard supports, they should work together, at least at a minimum level. One important thing to know, however, is that to get the increased bandwidth (which usually equates to the greatest performance), you'll want to choose the highest PCIe version that your motherboard supports and choose the largest PCIe size that will fit.

For example, a PCIe 3.0 x16 video card will give you the greatest performance, but only if your motherboard also supports PCIe 3.0 and has a free PCIe x16 slot. If your motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0, the card will only work up to that supported speed (e.g., 64 Gbit/s in the x16 slot).

The only slight disadvantage is that it will only have the maximum bandwidth provided by the slot; i.e., if you install an x16 video card in an x4 slot, it will have only x4 bandwidth available.

To reach the maximum performance possible, both the expansion card and the PCI Express controller (available inside the CPU or inside the motherboard chipset, depending on your system) have to be of the same revision. If you have a PCI Express 2.0 video card and install it on a system with a PCI Express 3.0 controller, you will be limited to the PCI Express 2.0 bandwidth. The same video card installed on an old system with a PCI Express 1.0 controller will be limited to the PCI Express 1.0 bandwidth.

But never mind all this theory, just install any GPU on your current MOBO, and enjoy playing Games Just make sure to UPDATE the BIOS on your system, before upgrading any GPU.

Last edited:

S987644

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Is that a PSU brand/company ? Never heard about this, but it looks like some low-end PSU to me. You MUST upgrade your PSU. If it lacks sufficient PCI-E cables, then it was not meant to power up GPUs requiring at least a min 6-PIN, but most importantly you have a very poor quality PSU. Simple as that.....http://www.green-case.com/products/power/power.php?model=GP580B

Just to echo what "Phillip Concoran" has just said, PCI-E is backwards compatible, meaning even if your Motherboard supports gen 2.0, any gen 3.0 GPU will also work on that same board.

Also, there won't be any performance drop whatsoever (you won't even notice it while gaming).

All PCI Express versions are backward and forward compatible, meaning no matter what version the PCIe card or your motherboard supports, they should work together, at least at a minimum level. One important thing to know, however, is that to get the increased bandwidth (which usually equates to the greatest performance), you'll want to choose the highest PCIe version that your motherboard supports and choose the largest PCIe size that will fit.

For example, a PCIe 3.0 x16 video card will give you the greatest performance, but only if your motherboard also supports PCIe 3.0 and has a free PCIe x16 slot. If your motherboard only supports PCIe 2.0, the card will only work up to that supported speed (e.g., 64 Gbit/s in the x16 slot).

The only slight disadvantage is that it will only have the maximum bandwidth provided by the slot; i.e., if you install an x16 video card in an x4 slot, it will have only x4 bandwidth available.

To reach the maximum performance possible, both the expansion card and the PCI Express controller (available inside the CPU or inside the motherboard chipset, depending on your system) have to be of the same revision. If you have a PCI Express 2.0 video card and install it on a system with a PCI Express 3.0 controller, you will be limited to the PCI Express 2.0 bandwidth. The same video card installed on an old system with a PCI Express 1.0 controller will be limited to the PCI Express 1.0 bandwidth.

But never mind all this theory, just install any GPU on your current MOBO, and enjoy playing Games Just make sure to UPDATE the BIOS on your system, before upgrading any GPU.
Well the thing is I can't upgrade my PSU at least not now I guess I have to try whit my current PSU i could also but rx470 which needs 80w power buy I read that pcie2×16 can only give 75w it might work

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can you afford to replace the PSU, GPU, MOBO and CPU? and recover your data?

To clarify @13thmonkey 's comment - because those are exactly the things you'll need to do if the PSU fails and takes out other components with it.

If this is the same one, and the label is accurate...
rouhit110_40709-181671!1.JPG

... then this PSU is actually only providing a max of 450W on the 12V rail.

That's enough power given your hardware combo, if it's a known, high-quality unit, but I can't find any information on it. It seems like most of the links that make any mention of this are in Farsi.

Also, please note, that high-efficiency and high-quality are two completely separate things. A high efficiency unit is not necessarily high quality.

S987644

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
To clarify @13thmonkey 's comment - because those are exactly the things you'll need to do if the PSU fails and takes out other components with it.

If this is the same one, and the label is accurate...
rouhit110_40709-181671!1.JPG

... then this PSU is actually only providing a max of 450W on the 12V rail.

That's enough power given your hardware combo, if it's a known, high-quality unit, but I can't find any information on it. It seems like most of the links that make any mention of this are in Farsi.

Also, please note, that high-efficiency and high-quality are two completely separate things. A high efficiency unit is not necessarily high quality.
Well I have this because I live in Iran and green is the best quality PSU in its price I've had this PSU for 2 years now and haven't seen any problems whit it and of that's the case I'll buy a PSU probably this year I plan on buying a gp550a-uk and in the description said 2×(2+6)8pin

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well I have this because I live in Iran and green is the best quality PSU in its price I've had this PSU for 2 years now and haven't seen any problems whit it and of that's the case I'll buy a PSU probably this year I plan on buying a gp550a-uk and in the description said 2×(2+6)8pin

It may be reasonably good quality - though, given the language barrier, and that it's not seen (as far as I know) in Europe or the US/Canada, I can't find any reviews on it that I'm able to read (thankfully my parents aren't TOO ashamed that I can't read or speak Farsi).

That said, I unfortunately wasn't able to find any images that showed the cables that come with your existing PSU.

However, I have to say, absolutely NEVER, EVER use an adapter to convert a 6-pin to an 8-pin. That is a fire hazard. A 6-pin is only rated to carry 75-watts of power, and an 8-pin rated to 150W. If you use an adapter for 6-to-8 pin, the video card doesn't know what's behind the adapter, and may therefore try to pull up to 150W off of cables that are only rated to carry half that amount. This will be a disaster.

Definitely get a new PSU that already has the proper cables you need for the video card. If the Seasonic Focus models of PSU are available to you in Iran, I recommend those very strongly.

S987644

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
It may be reasonably good quality - though, given the language barrier, and that it's not seen (as far as I know) in Europe or the US/Canada, I can't find any reviews on it that I'm able to read (thankfully my parents aren't TOO ashamed that I can't read or speak Farsi).

That said, I unfortunately wasn't able to find any images that showed the cables that come with your existing PSU.

However, I have to say, absolutely NEVER, EVER use an adapter to convert a 6-pin to an 8-pin. That is a fire hazard. A 6-pin is only rated to carry 75-watts of power, and an 8-pin rated to 150W. If you use an adapter for 6-to-8 pin, the video card doesn't know what's behind the adapter, and may therefore try to pull up to 150W off of cables that are only rated to carry half that amount. This will be a disaster.

Definitely get a new PSU that already has the proper cables you need for the video card. If the Seasonic Focus models of PSU are available to you in Iran, I recommend those very strongly.
Thank you I'll buy a new PSU and no there's no seasonic here its actually my first time hearing the name
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K6hLl_9jazku-Egjy5EL23Mw_PyX4BZT/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u9Fbgv18NkNE56_MsDS10fI6EvN9WJis/view?usp=sharing
these are the specs for the psu i have in mind

I currently have a gt730 and I want to go a rx570 but i don't know if it'll work on my motherboard

My system :
Motherboard: h81m-s2pt rev.1.1 and its ultra durable plus 4 (its a mini)
CPU:g3240 (I plan on buying an i5 4460 whit the gpu)
Ram:8gb(2×4)
And I also read about the 6pin and 8 pin my PSU has 6pin but I have to also get a cable to turn it into 8pin but I don't know which one is the 6pin

Yes it's compatible. And unless you are doing video editing, or populate a second PCIe x16 port it's doubtful you'll notice the difference in speed between PCIe 3 and PCIe2

Well I think the PSU should be okay. If the psu lacks the proper PCIe cable, (a 2x6 or 2x8 depending on card), then you can buy an adapter cable that runs off SATA. HOWEVER this should be temporary only. Most system builders don't like using these.

As you are from Iran, I understand that importing anything would be incredibly expensive right now.

Example of conversion cable:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YU-01FR-000N4?item=9SIAA0C7Z97481&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-beaugoodgoods-_-cables+-+sata+/+esata+cables-_-9SIAA0C7Z97481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuIX7tOeH4wIVDiOGCh0sIwbAEAQYBSABEgLF7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

S987644

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Well I think the PSU should be okay. If the psu lacks the proper PCIe cable, (a 2x6 or 2x8 depending on card), then you can buy an adapter cable that runs off SATA. HOWEVER this should be temporary only. Most system builders don't like using these.

As you are from Iran, I understand that importing anything would be incredibly expensive right now.

Example of conversion cable:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YU-01FR-000N4?item=9SIAA0C7Z97481&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-beaugoodgoods-_-cables+-+sata+/+esata+cables-_-9SIAA0C7Z97481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuIX7tOeH4wIVDiOGCh0sIwbAEAQYBSABEgLF7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
they only have this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15VJPnwU8oNLQ1xl1WgV8ImeAfftGQ-MZ/view?usp=sharing
they wont bring any other cables from 6to8 will this work ?its a6 pin to 2 8pins