[SOLVED] Does ryzen 5 3400g work with 4x8gb 3600mhz ram?

Mar 17, 2021
I’m building a temporary build until I can get a ryzen 9 5900x and a 3000 series nvidia gpu and was concerned on what ram is best for the ryzen 5 3400g. Thanks for any help I receive.

Solution
I’m building a temporary build until I can get a ryzen 9 5900x and a 3000 series nvidia gpu and was concerned on what ram is best for the ryzen 5 3400g. Thanks for any help I receive.
You will most probably have problem to run that much RAM over 3000MHz but it should work. It would be much easier with 2x16GB,

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I was tight on money at the time so I have 4x8 of 3600mhz ram. Should I use all 4 dimms or just 2?

X570 sounds good. You can just populate all the slots and not sweat it. It seems nitpicky at this point since at such speeds (high, but not crazy like 4000+) any decent motherboard+processor should be able to handle 4 RAM sticks just fine.

X570 sounds good. You can just populate all the slots and not sweat it. It seems nitpicky at this point since at such speeds (high, but not crazy like 4000+) any decent motherboard+processor should be able to handle 4 RAM sticks just fine.
Problem is not with MB but in CPU itself, internal memory controller gets overloaded and can't reliably use all 4 slots of RAM. Zen3 (5000 series) have solved that and there are reports that it works even better like that.

Mar 17, 2021
That depends on what you need more, amount of RAM or it's speed. 16GB is some average today, more is needed only for some applications like for Virtual Machines or work with largegraphic and multimedia, Games and such are much more modest.
I’m turning it into a temporary streaming/editing pc for my ps5 and gaming on it when I’m not streaming.

Mar 17, 2021
Yea, I decided to go that route for future proofing I just didnt know if I should use all 4 dimms in the kit or save it for my r9.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Problem is not with MB but in CPU itself, internal memory controller gets overloaded and can't reliably use all 4 slots of RAM. Zen3 (5000 series) have solved that and there are reports that it works even better like that.

Oh wow, I didn't know that....I thought by Zen 2 the IMC improvements also include a more robust high-bandwith memory handling.

Yeah OP you can also just use 2 slots instead. A 3400G won't exhaust the capacity of 32GB before running out of juice for combined CPU+GPU load like rendering.

Mar 17, 2021
Oh wow, I didn't know that....I thought by Zen 2 the IMC improvements also include a more robust high-bandwith memory handling.

Yeah OP you can also just use 2 slots instead. A 3400G won't exhaust the capacity of 32GB before running out of juice for combined CPU+GPU load like rendering.
I appreciate the help. I’m going to just use 2 dimms until i get my r9 then ill pop in the other dimms to complete my build.