Question Does ryzen still run faster with faster ram?

zackthaboss

Reputable
Feb 25, 2017
First off here's my system specs. Ryzen 5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb, msi x470 gaming plus, msi gtx 1060 6gb gaming x, evga 750w supernova g3 80+ gold.

So I tried overclocking my ram from 2133 to 2667 and I did a test in cinebench and I didn't notice any difference but I see so many videos and posts saying that ryzen does indeed run faster with faster ram. If it does run faster, how much extra fps will that mean in games and is it worth it?

HALIFAX3

Reputable
Apr 24, 2019
It seems that most people see an increase in performance with speeds around 3200mhz although your mileage will vary. I believe in most cases the increase is roughly 5% FPS in games.

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
it's not that the actual CPU will run faster, but it will perform more efficiently and provide better performance with faster RAM. RYZEN CPU's utilize what's called their infinity fabric which utilizes the RAM to operate, the faster memory allows better performance in games and benchmarks

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Purchase a 2 x 8 kit of 3200mhz modules with cas latency 14, install them and run the benchmark. If you aren't satisfied you can return them. Doubling the bandwidth is where you'll see the difference, not increasing it by 500mhz.
Make sure to check the return policy if you do this though, my experience is that retailers will often charge you a restocking fee if you return an opened product that doesn't have anything wrong with it.

So I tried overclocking my ram from 2133 to 2667 and I did a test in cinebench and I didn't notice any difference but I see so many videos and posts saying that ryzen does indeed run faster with faster ram. If it does run faster, how much extra fps will that mean in games and is it worth it?

Cinebench doesn't show the same impact as found in real world apps related to memory speed with Ryzen. There is zero doubt that Ryzen responds very well to fast 3200 cas 14 memory...it likes fast memory speed and low latency combined...faster and tighter the better.

Running Ryzen cpu's with 2133 is not recommended...loosening timings to move 2133 to 2667 wont see any gain because the lose timings counter act the benefits of the 2667 speed. You have to have fast ram with tight timings to get Ryzens full potential.

Here's a good video showing the impacts of ram speed and timings (latency) on a 2700x -
View: https://youtu.be/PHBsR1Y68G8

zackthaboss

Reputable
Feb 25, 2017
Cinebench doesn't show the same impact as found in real world apps related to memory speed with Ryzen. There is zero doubt that Ryzen responds very well to fast 3200 cas 14 memory...it likes fast memory speed and low latency combined...faster and tighter the better.

Running Ryzen cpu's with 2133 is not recommended...loosening timings to move 2133 to 2667 wont see any gain because the lose timings counter act the benefits of the 2667 speed. You have to have fast ram with tight timings to get Ryzens full potential.

Here's a good video showing the impacts of ram speed and timings (latency) on a 2700x -
View: https://youtu.be/PHBsR1Y68G8
I mean I wouldn't say its not recommended seeing how I get very good performance in all my games. I tried overclocking the ram to 2667 and I didn't even notice a difference, it actually caused a lot of screen tearing in 2 of my games so I had to completely reinstall windows to fix it (resetting bios settings didn't work)