Does Ryzen support Miracast on Windows 10?

techNOguy123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I think I read somewhere that AMD does not support wireless display connectivity on Windows 10 which was one of the reasons I was hesitant to switch from Intel for my PC build but now I can't seem to find that source. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on whether Miracast is supported on Ryzen?

Solution
I think you're misunderstanding something.

Miracast is a GRAPHIC CARD standard. Not a CPU. Ryzen or CoreI cpus have nothing to do with Miracast. FYI both AMD and INTEL iGPUs on their cpus supposedly support Miracast. Miracast requires a display adapter which supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.3 which to the best of my knowledge includes all current AMD and NVIDIA GPUs, it also requires and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct;

Just be careful about your WIFI adapter and you should be able to make it work.

THAT SAID -
from a little research I've noticed while NVIDIA claims support for WDDM 1.3 and Miracast, it turns out nvidia actually cut support for Miracast back in 2016; meaning you'd need some of their...
I think you're misunderstanding something.

Miracast is a GRAPHIC CARD standard. Not a CPU. Ryzen or CoreI cpus have nothing to do with Miracast. FYI both AMD and INTEL iGPUs on their cpus supposedly support Miracast. Miracast requires a display adapter which supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.3 which to the best of my knowledge includes all current AMD and NVIDIA GPUs, it also requires and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct;

Just be careful about your WIFI adapter and you should be able to make it work.

THAT SAID -
from a little research I've noticed while NVIDIA claims support for WDDM 1.3 and Miracast, it turns out nvidia actually cut support for Miracast back in 2016; meaning you'd need some of their older drivers and a card available in 2016 to make it work. Furthermore AMD graphic drivers seem to be hit and miss. I see a number of their APU listed as having drivers supporting Miracast and a smattering of their GPUs, but it's all over the place. Looks like AMD is working on their own miracast like product hence the lack of dependable support.

Looks like you'll have a more likely chance to make Miracast work on a laptop then you will on a desktop; but yes, windows 10 supports miracast.

Solution

techNOguy123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I'm an idiot. My PC is a Ryzen 7 1700 and I have a GTX 1080. What I don't have is a wifi adapter for it (somewhere along the line I forgot about the Wifi Direct and assumed that it would work on my network through ethernet). Doh!