Does Samsung 173P sink back down like the 193P?

NervousNovice

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Quoted from the Anandtech review on the Samsung 193P:

"Unfortunately, attempting to place the monitor in a specific angle was not possible; the monitor would generally fold up on its own weight. Likewise, even in a vertical position, the LCD typically "sank" back down until it rested on the stand or the desk."

I'm thinking about getting a 173P (not the 193P). Does the 173P also sink back down like the 193P? Are the hinges on the 173P's stand tight? Or is it just that the 193P panel is too heavy?

After all I don't want to pay $$ for a LCD that can only lie on my desk. Can anyone share their own experience? It will be greatly appreciated.

NervousNovice

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I've just got my 173P today. I confirmed that the joints and hinges on the 173P's stand are very tight.

The base hinge is designed to be opened up to its highest level. However that hinge is so tight that it's possible to adjust it to any angle you wish.

The upper hinge for the monitor is also tight. It allows tilting the panel to any angle you wish.

In conclusion, I think the "sink back down" situation applies only to the bigger 193P model, but not the 173P one.

empi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
That's not even true for the 193P. I just picked one up a few days ago, and while it's certainly easier to lower the monitor than raise it, it's hardly loose. The one reviewed must have a bad hinge.