Question Does Seasonic s12ii 520 watts psu +80 bronze is enough for ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1060 6gb/gtx 1070?

Jul 22, 2019
I am planning to upgrade my i3 4170 and gtx 1050 with ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1060 or gtx 1070. I have a Seasonic s12ii 520 watts psu +80 bronze, is it enough for ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1060 or gtx 1070? or should I also upgrade my PSU? I only use my PSU for 1 year so if possible I don't want to upgrade it. Thank you for your answers

Lutfij

Titan
You'll be barely getting by for which reason I'd ask you to look for a higher wattage unit of similar build quality like the Seasonic.

My answer would be no, you're cutting it close if going with a GTX1070. If GTX1060, you're good. Also, be sure to disable deep sleep state in BIOS before you fire up the system and install the OS.

Reactions: LunareLif
You'll be barely getting by for which reason I'd ask you to look for a higher wattage unit of similar build quality like the Seasonic.

My answer would be no, you're cutting it close if going with a GTX1070. If GTX1060, you're good. Also, be sure to disable deep sleep state in BIOS before you fire up the system and install the OS.

In this day and age, he should be looking at a PSU with better build quality than his Seasonic. It can still be a Seasonic, but the S12II was a good PSU 10 years ago. Amazed it's still being sold as it's technology is very antique by today's standards.

In this day and age, he should be looking at a PSU with better build quality than his Seasonic. It can still be a Seasonic, but the S12II was a good PSU 10 years ago. Amazed it's still being sold as it's technology is very antique by today's standards.

They are still better than some other PSU's on the market.

Old yeah, but still stable, won't burn down your house or take out your system, unlike a lot of others out there will that people buy and recommend to others.

A newer unit would be better as long as it is really better.

They are still better than some other PSU's on the market.

Very true. No doubt about that. You don't want to be like that one guy in the other thread that had a Corsair CX fail so he replaced it with an EVGA W1 (went backwards).

Old yeah, but still stable,

Stability is relative. It doesn't like crossloads and it doesn't support modern sleep mode states (C6 and newer).

But build quality wise: Built like a tank. I just wish Seasonic chose to use DC to DC on that platform.

Very true. No doubt about that. You don't want to be like that one guy in the other thread that had a Corsair CX fail so he replaced it with an EVGA W1 (went backwards).

Stability is relative. It doesn't like crossloads and it doesn't support modern sleep mode states (C6 and newer).

But build quality wise: Built like a tank. I just wish Seasonic chose to use DC to DC on that platform.

I agree, they did on the 650W and above, never could figure out why they didn't on the 620W and below.

Yeah that was funny, backward for sure.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Are you sure? I'm thinking that even with a 1070 (150W) with the 2600 (65W), and maybe 75W more for the motherboard, RAM, etc, we're looking at 290W. Let's even add an extra arbitrary 110W of usage above that if things were maxing out or going overboard, and we're still looking at only 400 watts being pulled from a PSU that provides 40 total amps across the two 12V rails.

400W (and that's a pretty extreme overestimate, I think) used out of 480W available still leaves a reasonable amount of headroom.

Bah. That's plenty of power, and the S12II is still a good PSU even if it's old. I had one running a GTX 970 and overclocked i7 system a few years ago. It ran a power-hungry AMD FX system before THAT, and did fine.

Both pulled <400W from the outlet under full load and with healthy overclocks.

My 3700x and GTX 1070ti pulls ~320W at full tilt from a Corsair RM650x.

Jul 22, 2019
Thank you very much to all. Your opinions really helped to decide what should I do next. I think I will not upgrade my PSU for now. But if I will have a budget I will purchase a seasonic gold PSU as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

Reactions: King_V
Sep 28, 2019
I am planning to upgrade my i3 4170 and gtx 1050 with ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1060 or gtx 1070. I have a Seasonic s12ii 520 watts psu +80 bronze, is it enough for ryzen 5 2600 and gtx 1060 or gtx 1070? or should I also upgrade my PSU? I only use my PSU for 1 year so if possible I don't want to upgrade it. Thank you for your answers

Your good with your psu. I have this type of set up. Ryzen 2600 and GTX 1070 qith the seasonic s12. No problems at all. Even youtuber Techdeals verified a 500 watts psu can run a gtx 1080 no problem.