G

I'm new at this, so bear with me. I'm building my first box and trying to do it right. I'd like data security as well as speed. My first question is: If the Western Digital 100 Gig Caviar drive ranks first at THG, does that mean I can expect the 60 GB Caviar drive to perform as well or does performance vary from size to size within a hard drive model. Second, I've toyed with using RAID 0+1 or RAID 5. I'd like a total of 100 GB storage and have a case that can hold and cool 4 HDs. Which do y'all prefer?
Thanks

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, but it's not the size of the drive that matters. It's the desity of the platters in the drive. From what I understand, the 100GB WD Hard drive is denser than the 60GB hard drive so more information gets covered in a single revolution of the drive disk.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, but it's not the size of the drive that matters. It's the desity of the platters in the drive. From what I understand, the 100GB WD Hard drive is denser than the 60GB hard drive so more information gets covered in a single revolution of the drive disk.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
the best way is to use smaller drives but use as many as need. If you understand about raid levels, that is the best way to go for speed and storage. Also think if you fill up a 100gig the information that the computer has to search threw to find something small, it will take time

Options:

2 x 40GB IBM 60GXPs RAID 0, my set-up = 80GB & 4MB buffer.

4 x 40 etc RAID 0+1 = 80GB & 4 MB, with security.

2 x 60GB caviar etc etc.

I prefer would prefer 4 x 60GXPs on RAID 0. 160GB + 8MB buffer!

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: