Does SSD really make a big difference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks, so does SSD make a big difference compared with HDD, and if so, in what way and how much of a difference? Also, what's the best way to take advantage of this difference (i.e. best to store files in a certain way)?

I can choose between two systems, one which has SSD and one which has 1TB HDD (systems below). As a side note, if you have any feedback on these systems that would be great thanks.

1) i5-6300HQ (2.3 GHz), 15,6" Full HD IPS, 8GB RAM (DDR4), 1TB HDD, 4-cell lithium ion (60Wh)
2) i7-4720HQ (2.6 GHz), 15,6" Full HD, 8GB RAM (DDR3), 256GB SSD, 4-cell lithium ion (44Wh)

Solution
SSD;s are fantastic, I'd never go back to a HDD boot drive again. That said for file storage I still use a standard HDD (desktop). I also put my games on the HDD.

As for SSD's, they improve your boot times, you'll go from say a 1 minute boot time (to login screen) to 8 seconds or so. After you login, you computer will be ready in seconds (the desktop will render almost instantly), most startup tasks will launch within a few seconds of login, etc. I've seen computers with HDD's for the OS that take over a minute after login to get all your startups loaded and for the HDD activity to settle down.

Any applications that are installed on the SSD will launch "instantly", like Excel, Word, any software really. HDD's can take up to 30...

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

That's a good idea with looking at the part number on the SO-DIMM, thanks.

I think the 8GB RAM will probably be fine for me but will see. My last system only had around 2 or 3GB RAM, so this will be a big upgrade!

Will let you know how everything goes, and thanks again!