Does Switching Motherboard (brand) affect system perfermance/Networking speed?

Jul 8, 2018
I switched my Asus board out for an MSI gaming motherboard a while back, and at first, everything worked well, but recently, I've noticed serious lag spikes while gaming (where once I would have around 110-150ms ping, I now skyrocket to about 1100-3000.) If so, is there anything I can do to negate the horrid speed loss?

Solution

If you're noticing a change in 'pings' that suggests a change in the network. A new motherboard brings a new integrated NIC and so your ISP will assign you a new IP address. I'm not sure how, but that can affect how your IP traffic is routed now which could affect pings.

Also, always make sure you've updated to the latest drivers....especially graphics and network drivers... and motherboard BIOS. Your old...
Jul 8, 2018

How do I do that?

If you're noticing a change in 'pings' that suggests a change in the network. A new motherboard brings a new integrated NIC and so your ISP will assign you a new IP address. I'm not sure how, but that can affect how your IP traffic is routed now which could affect pings.

Also, always make sure you've updated to the latest drivers....especially graphics and network drivers... and motherboard BIOS. Your old motherboard had the benefit of several Windows updates to bring all that current and cosistent but the new one may not have as yet.

And lastly: maybe it's just your ISP that has changed lately, especially since you didn't notice these problems at first.

Solution