[SOLVED] Does TDP of cpu cooler need to be the same or higher than TDP of CPU.

lmhoxsie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
I’m looking at an aftermarket CPU that is 70 tdp, but my CPU is 95 tdp. I only plan on using this pc for media, will this cooler work for my cpu or do I need a higher tdp cooler?

Solution
I'd say if you're not bothered to pay anymore than $30, prepare for a bad experience. With that being said, though, the arctic cooler you showed might work (barely).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In a very simplistic sense, the rated TDP of a cooler should match or exceed the rated TDP for a CPU.

Really depends on the specifics of the cooler & CPU. A 70W TDP seems pretty low for all but the smallest of coolers.

What CPU are you trying to cool? And what cooler are you looking at?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, that's a very, very budget orientated cooler - so I'd take it at face value. If you're going to stress the CPU, event remotely (which, for an x2 7750 in 2020, you will be), that cooler isn't going to keep up.

What are you trying to achieve? Cheap or low-profile (or both)?

lmhoxsie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
I wanted to go with the most inexpensive cooler that would work because it’s probably not worth dumping too much money on expensive components.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's really not worth spending much money at all. What case are you working with? That'll dictate the room you you have available.

Cheap is one thing, low-profile is another. Trying to find something low-profile & fit for purpose within spending ~$30 is a tough ask. If you can accommodate taller coolers, your options open up a bit more.

lmhoxsie

Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
I don’t have the original cooler though, I only have a broken Corsair liquid cooler. So would this cooler provide passable temps only using it as a media device?