Question Does temp affect cpu overclock stability when other variables are equal?

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
So as stated in the title, I'm asking if temps make a difference in stability when other variables are equal. For example: if two same cpu's are oc'ed to same frequencies and same voltage but one is running cooler than the other, would it be more stable? I'm asking because I can't seem to get consistent overclocks from my R5 2400G. Sometimes I can finish a Cinebench R20 render pass, sometimes I get errors, sometimes I get BSOD. I'm wondering if an aftermarket cooler would not only raise the thermal headroom, but also make overclocks stable. Temps hover from mid 80s to 90s using stock cooler when overclocked. Other components that are oc'ed are my 2 sticks of kingston ram (2666 to 3000mhz).

4745454b

Titan
Sort of. There are two things that kill CPUs. To much heat, and to much voltage. Using your above two CPU with all identical settings but heat, I would expect the CPU at 60C to last longer than the one at 80C.

The problem is you aren't stable. 90C+ is the most likely reason. Upgraded cooling will help if you are using stock. More realistic setting could also help. Keep in mind Ryzen doesn't OC to 5GHz. It doesn't matter what cooling you use.

Reactions: CompuTronix

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
Sort of. There are two things that kill CPUs. To much heat, and to much voltage. Using your above two CPU with all identical settings but heat, I would expect the CPU at 60C to last longer than the one at 80C.

The problem is you aren't stable. 90C+ is the most likely reason. Upgraded cooling will help if you are using stock. More realistic setting could also help. Keep in mind Ryzen doesn't OC to 5GHz. It doesn't matter what cooling you use.

Yeah. I'm trying to OC my R5 2400G from stock all core boost of 3.75 to at least 3.8 or 3.85ghz, which I dont think is unreasonable. I know the performance uplift may be small, but I still want it. With the AC on (I'm from somewhere close to the equator so ambient temps are quite hot, the AC does help), an overclock of 3.8Ghz at 1.375V would make the temps go up to around mid to high 80s. Multiple runs of Cinebench R20 resulted in more successful render passes than errors.

Now I'm wondering if getting a cheap decent air cooler like the Snowman 4 copper pipe cooler will help not only for the temps, but also the stability of the overclocks especially since ambient temps are quite hot when the AC is off.

Luck matters.
If you get a good chip, you can oc higher, all else being equal.
higher voltage means higher multiplier, but it also means higher temperatures.
So long as your load temperature is ok, you can be stable.
So long as your voltage is within specs, you can be stable.
I think the throttle point on ryzen is around 85c