[SOLVED] Does the AIO radiator work as my air intake?

Feb 24, 2020
Hi

So, I am really falling in love with the nzxt kraken AIO cooler but I only have experience with the intel stock cooler so I have some researching to do. One question that I can't seem to get answered is, do I uninstall the fans at the front of my case and replace them with the radiator fans from the AIO, or do I keep the front fans and mount the AIO radiator on top of my case?

I have room for a 240mm radiator on top of my case where I currently don't have any fans. At the front where I have 2 (case included) 120mm fans, it supports a 280mm radiator.

The reason I'm curious might just come from me not knowing how an AIO works, but my logic says that the liquid is getting used to transfer heat into the radiator which then is blown into the air by the fans. Now if this is true I don't see how blowing it into the pc can be a viable source of airflow for the GPU as it is then using hot air to cool itself with. I hope someone can enlighten me and if there's any extra information I need to know about AIO's don't hesitate to let me know!

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
but my logic says that the liquid is getting used to transfer heat into the radiator which then is blown into the air by the fans. Now if this is true I don't see how blowing it into the pc can be a viable source of airflow for the GPU as it is then using hot air to cool itself with.

While yes, the fans would 'blow' slightly warmer air into the case & the GPU would be fed with it, note it would only be slightly warmer than ambient air.

The liquid inside an AIO doesn't actually heat up that much - So the radiator won't be 'hot'.

If you can mount the AIO up top, that would be recommended.

A consideration with AIOs. In short, you don't want the pump to be at the highest point of a loop.
Mounting up top would leave the...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
but my logic says that the liquid is getting used to transfer heat into the radiator which then is blown into the air by the fans. Now if this is true I don't see how blowing it into the pc can be a viable source of airflow for the GPU as it is then using hot air to cool itself with.

While yes, the fans would 'blow' slightly warmer air into the case & the GPU would be fed with it, note it would only be slightly warmer than ambient air.

The liquid inside an AIO doesn't actually heat up that much - So the radiator won't be 'hot'.

A consideration with AIOs. In short, you don't want the pump to be at the highest point of a loop.
Mounting up top would leave the pump/CPU block in it's optimal location.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BbGomv195sk&app=desktop

Solution
Feb 24, 2020

Mounting up top would leave the pump/CPU block in it's optimal location.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BbGomv195sk&app=desktop
First of all thank you both for the answer to my question but also for that extra piece of advise, I would never have realised that if you hadn’t told me!
Now I personally really love the look of my 2 rgb front fans as that’s the main part of the pc I see every day, would I be able to still have them running even with the radiator mounted on top or will that be too much intake? It would mean that I’d have 2x120mm fans at the front and the radiator consisting of 2x120mm fans on the top. I only have a single 120mm exhaust fan at the back.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
On top you'd want them to exhaust out of the case.
Case fans at the front drawing air in, Rad/fans on top exhausting & rear exhausting.

Technically that would result in slight negative air pressure which may increase dust build up over time. Provided you clean your PC somewhat regularly though, that's a minor inconvenience.

Feb 24, 2020
On top you'd want them to exhaust out of the case.
Case fans at the front drawing air in, Rad/fans on top exhausting & rear exhausting.

Technically that would result in slight negative air pressure which may increase dust build up over time. Provided you clean your PC somewhat regularly though, that's a minor inconvenience.
Perfect I clean mine on a regular basis anyway so that’s just great! Once again thanks a lot!

Latest posts