Question Does the AMD 7000 series have slow boot times?

I have been seeing videos stating that the boot times for the AMD 7000 series / AM5 platform is very slow. Like 45 seconds or more. From what I understand this is from the AM5 board trying to gauge the speed of the DDR5 ram.

Was this just an issue early adopters had which got eventually resolved with Bios updates?? or is it still very much a problem today?

Do 12th or 13th gen Intel processor platforms boot much faster?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've not seen anything on any major tech site saying this. so i'm inclined to say it is an isolated issue some have experienced if anything.

i can assure you if there is any major issue with anything tech related, it will be covered by this site and every other major tech site out there. random videos, redit, your uncle's facebook/twitter rants and anything else should be taken with a VERY large helping of salt.

once i see it reported on actual tech sites, and only then, should it be considered true. and then you should read as much as possible to understand the true issue at hand and not make rash blanket statements about whatever is going on.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
It happened to me. I just upgraded from an old Intel LGA 1150 system with an I9 9900k and with that system the boot times were always in the range of 5-8 seconds.
Put together a new system "see signature" and on first boot there was no response from the motherboard, only two debug lights lit up, the ram and cpu. Tried troubleshooting it for longer then I'd like to admit when I contacted MSI and they told me that's completely normal for the very first boot. After about 5 minutes the system suddenly came online and I was able to install windows 11 and get everything else setup but here's the kicker. This rig still takes about 15-20 seconds to boot up. Is it a big deal? Not to me really but it's noticeable for sure.
Even now when you push the power button on my case it takes about 10-15 seconds for the mobo to respond and for the GPU and assorted mobo lights to come on and the system to boot. I have the newest bios for the mainboard as well.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
It happened to me. I just upgraded from an old Intel LGA 1150 system with an I9 9900k and with that system the boot times were always in the range of 5-8 seconds.
Put together a new system "see signature" and on first boot there was no response from the motherboard, only two debug lights lit up, the ram and cpu. Tried troubleshooting it for longer then I'd like to admit when I contacted MSI and they told me that's completely normal for the very first boot. After about 5 minutes the system suddenly came online and I was able to install windows 11 and get everything else setup but here's the kicker. This rig still takes about 15-20 seconds to boot up. Is it a big deal? Not to me really but it's noticeable for sure.
Even now when you push the power button on my case it takes about 10-15 seconds for the mobo to respond and for the GPU and assorted mobo lights to come on and the system to boot. I have the newest bios for the mainboard as well.
YES! This describes exactly what I was seeing on youtube. For the first boot it took like 5 minutes before the screen came on then after that it still took way longer than most PCs. Very interested if this is a DDR 5 in general that could impact both AMD and Intel. If so I think I am sticking with DDR 4.

Here is one of the videos I saw stating the Issue with AM5 booting very slow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZukEdUAKfU

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
YES! This describes exactly what I was seeing on youtube. For the first boot it took like 5 minutes before the screen came on then after that it still took way longer than most PCs. Very interested if this is a DDR 5 in general that could impact both AMD and Intel. If so I think I am sticking with DDR 4.

Here is one of the videos I saw stating the Issue with AM5 booting very slow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZukEdUAKfU

I'm not sure where the issue is but once it boots it's fast and plays games much better then my old system. I wouldn't let the longer boot times sway you as I believe with addition bios updates this issue will get resolved.

D

Deleted member 2838871

or is it still very much a problem today?

My new build just had the initial post take 30 seconds. Subsequent reboot from restart to windows desktop was 1 minute.

I don't consider that too big a problem.