[SOLVED] Does the AMD FX-6300 bottleneck my 1060 6GB? Massive FPS drops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Does the AMD FX-6300 bottleneck my MSI 1060 6GB? I get Massive framerate drops in Fortnite, when i first load up fortnite i get about 120-170 constant and after a while it changes to 40-80fps and the game is super laggy!

What can I do if my 6300 is bottlenecking my 1060? Should I look at buying a new cpu, ram and motherboard?

I have water cooling, I have the Corsair H105

GPU:MSI GTX GeForce 1060 6GB

CPU: AMD FX-6300

RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR3 (not sure exactly what frequency but it shows at 933mhz)

Power Supply: Corsair CS650M

Solution
OC that FX to 4.6GHz or better, the cooler can handle it. The fx series suffers from a serious flaw, it's got roughly 67% the IPC (instructions per clock) of a 3rd gen i5. So if you are still at a boost clock of native 3.8GHz, that's only on 2 cores. The 3-4 are 3.6GHz and 5-6 are 3.4GHz. With its IPC, you are roughly equitable to Intel running at 2.6GHz. You need to increase clock speed to get more instructions per time period which equates to more frames per second.

You are getting hard drops after load up because load up is only using 2 cores, after that your speed is dropping, so are frames.

933MHz is single data rate, it's the actual speed of your ram. Your ram however runs 2 data streams, it's DDR 3, dual data rate - 3rd...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Even if you don't vsync, things will seem laggy because only partial frames will be updating fast enough.

But the vsync will give you smoothness. 1/60 second isn't much to worry about.

Yeah, if you're looking for faster frame rates, you need a monitor with a higher refresh rate. Still, I imagine the rest of the platform should probably be upgraded as well ultimately.

Last edited:
Reactions: LewisMann