Does the AMD Phenom II X4 955 work for autocad 3d

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akkad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

True, we aren't halfway through the woods yet haha, especially with the thought of choosing a monitor after the build. I'm going to look through the link and check out the vid cards and then get back to you.

Lutfij

Titan
Erm, the i5-2500K is a strong contendor for OC'ing to really good specs - the last time i checked it was OC'ed to 5GHz stable.

Don't worry, if your spending now, the 2nd gen i5 is the way to go. cos the x68 chip will be out a while from now and it'll be enthusiast level pricing so thas outta the window.

Future proofed - kinda not entirely. Case - I'm looking into it but remember airflow and heat are two things to keep in mind. gaming rigs run hot and a GPU might have low idle temps but they still throw heat inside the case.

So point to note; buying an expensive, well thought out case will keep you happy no matter how many garbage trucks you drive into it :D

GPU's, getting a GTX 560Ti now and another one nearly a year later - sli them and you have specs better than the GTX580 :D

Crossfire wise - its a lil different. Getting 2x6870's are better than a 5870 but a single 5870 is about 10-20% faster than a 6870. 2nd ponit - stay away from aging tech - they cost more, harder to find while replacement comes knocking on your door and are more power hungry.

Edit;
Computer cases ;
check these out; http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%204026&IsNodeId=1&name=%2450%20-%20%2475

stay within thermaltakes, nzxt and antec...IMO

akkad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Quick reply, still didn't fully look at the links, but couldn't I get a 5870 now, and them crossfirex it later? That would be better than getting one, or 2 6870s. (or 2 GTX560Ti or 6870, later on, I only want one vid card atm) Also, isn't the 5870 a lower number = Worse card? Or do things work the other way around in this? What do you mean by aging tech, I mean, I know what it is, but is anything in our build an aging tech?

On the cases, Ok, I'll use one of those brands while makign builds. It's just that the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815004&cm_re=xigmatek_asgard-_-11-815-004-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1xe2t1pj7inem was highly complimented (in terms of ventilation) by someone to me.

Get back to you soon, thank you :)

Lutfij

Titan
5870 was released a long time ago - more than a year ago. 6870's however have been a lil newer in the market compared to the 5870. The GTX's however...

hang on, this calls for another link :D
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-7.html

When we call something aging tech, its something thas going to go obsolete very soon and then you're ina world of hurt. For example the LGA 1366 was big news when it first came out over 2 years ago. Now its just a dieing socket with nothing but heat when compared to the 2nd gen i5/i7's - its better price and performance wise.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2971-5.html

i run a Q9550 on one rig and a i5-750 on another - lets see if you can spot where you'll be...? :p

case is ok - Tom's have used it on their build marathons - so you can't go wrong with them :) but i prefer the bottom mouted PSu as its better for heat isolation. Can you find an Antec P183? i know its alot but its worth the extra you'll spend.

Heat rises - and cold air tries to fill the void left by rising hot air currents. A case with hot air going to the PSU will seriously hamper the lifespan of the PSU - thus my opt for getting a bottom mounted psu case as the psu gets cool air from outside while the internal case heat is managed by top/rear fans.

The case, PSU and HDD are items one HAS to keep in mind as constant while the ram/cpu/mobo/gpu remain changing. So the case+psu should last you multiple builds

100% agree

What about a I5 2400?
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52207

more than enough for autocad and gaming
here it is on Newegg
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074
I dont remember if you have Newegg available to you
but as a comparison
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

it is about $40 less than the 2500k in USD

just FYI :)

You know I think I will stay off of this thread :)
I think everybody else has it under control and I am just confusing things
Good luck with your build

One piece of advice is stick with the HD 6xxx or GTX 5xx series
you might be able to get an older card that can game better
but you want a card that has the latest UVD,ATI Stream,CUDA etc
those features like CUDA and ATI Stream where the GPU takes the load off of the CPU
is the future
You will see more and more apps taking advantage of CUDA,Stream,OpenCL and DirectCompute
They call it GPGPU processing
already big in the workstation/server world and moving into the home market
so yes a a card like the 5870 can game well but will not have the latest
"features" of a newer HD 6xxx series which is important

Goodbye and Good Building

Lutfij

Titan
One piece of advice is stick with the HD 6xxx or GTX 5xx series
previously mentioned, but agree with that!!!

The 5xxx series were the first gen cards to implement eyefinity. The 6xxx series took that eyefinity setup and introduced 3D into it. Nvidia has the same thing but with the tag - 3D surround vision.

CUDA's are what you need. I've been a nvidia fan for a long time but went with ati cards for both my builds. Had a 8600GT Fatal1ty DDR3 passive cooled version btw :) which kept me happy for a long time - nearly 3 years.

The K series chips offer an unlocked multiplier that is better for OC'ing. If your not thinking of OC'ing out of the box then the 2400/2500 is good enough.

akkad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi guys! I'm very sorry to say that due to some complications I must slightly delay the PC building, nothing more than a week, hopefully! All your help is VASTLY appreciated <3, and as Lutfij stated, we (or at least me) aren't out of the woods yet. So I'll be posting here in a couple. Take care guys :)

@king smp To the contrary, you aren't confusing anyone and your expertise are greatly appreciated. I will surely " stick with the HD 6xxx or GTX 5xx series " As for the i5 2400, I don't want that because of the HD graphics 3000 thats in the 2500k, I read that it provides a clear bump in performance.

@Lutfij So are you saying that Nvidias are the way to go lol? I feel like a ping pong ball :p You guys know more than me, so whatever you say is better I will go with. See you soon bro

Lutfij

Titan
The HD 3000 is for the onboard GPU fused within the CPU core. If your getting a discrete GPU then the onboard HD3000 performance doesn't matter.

FYI - if you choose the Z68 board and a HD3000 capable CPU e.g; i5-2500K along with a discrete GPU, then the onboard GPU is used when doing 2D work. When you'll be gaming the Discrete GPU kicks in.

The only benefit with a Z68 board is giving you the ability to OC the onboard GPU and the CPU as well. Plus you get an output for the onboard GPU (logically).

Well the last sentence was mentioned in the link that i posted about the Z68 chip...are you reading them :O ? :/

I would say go either ati or nvidia. But the pricing is quite competitive with the cards i asked you to look into and my recommendations haven't changed :) GTX 550Ti/560Ti or 5770/6870 for your requirements.

King smp's reason for posting the i5-2400 is cos of the lower pricing and since you'll get a discrete GPU anyway, the lower cost seemed better - IMO. Not telepathic just assumed the logical answer :D

BTW all sandy bridge cpu's OC like monsters and are very friendly to it...so it doesnt matter much about the k series chips.

I cant stay away from this thread LOL
The I5-2400 would save the OP about $50 or so
with that extra money it could go into getting a better mobo

just like a case and PSU a mobo should carry a few builds if picked carefully
I would rather go with the I5 2400 (plenty powerful) and get the better mobo
then in a year or two the 2600k should hopefully drop in price
with Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E coming out
then the OP could upgrade to the 2600K or other new 1155 socket CPU

With a brand new socket like 1155 dont go cheap on mobo
the 1155 should be around for awhile so the mobo should last a few builds
save money on the CPU instead
easy to swap CPUs and prices for SB should just go down later

look at this article from Toms
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2971-3.html

"Intel's Sandy Bridge microarchitechture is undeniably fast. Test data suggests that the new Core i5-2400 can stand toe-to-toe with Core i7-900-series processors when it comes to game performance. We're not talking about the entry-level models, either. This affordable processor has the chops to compete with Intel's thousand-dollar Extreme Edition chips when it comes to enabling the highest frames per second.

As great as the Core i5-700-series chips are, the new Core i5-2000 processors hit the afterburners and fly right by. Plus, the LGA 1156 interface is essentially dead, so it seems silly to sink any money into it at this point"
direct quote

the K-Series just means it has unlocked multiplier
so it will overclock better
but the non-K still OC by changing the FSB
with that 2400 I can bet that you can go from 3.1 to 3.6
without upping the voltage and even use the stock Intel Heatsink/Fan
with a good cooler and up the voltage just a little
you could possibly hit 4.0

even stock the 2400 is a seriously powerful chip
more than enough for Autocad and is better than I7-9xx at games
with a OC I would have problems pushing that CPU to its limits

if that difference in CPU price lets you get a Z68 board than definitley
worth it
Of course if you have the budget for a good Z68 AND a 2500k
then by all means go for it
but otherwise look at Z68 and I5-2400 combo
then later you can get some Special K goodness :)