Question Does the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming's DisplayPort In support Multi-Stream Transport

Jan 5, 2023
Hi all,

So I purchased this motherboard because I wanted the TB3 capabilities. In the past I've successfully run the discrete graphics card output to the motherboard's DP-In and driven a USB-C external monitor! This worked just fine.

I want to now drive 3 monitors with it. And this is where my doubts start to come in. The hardware that I need to daisy-chain 3 monitors together starts to get expensive, I wanted to know if someone else has done this first before investing.

My understanding is that, the port is a DisplayPort 1.4 Input. So in my mind, it should support at a minimum, the DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport (MST) for multiple monitors to run from a single display port output? That would look like this:

GPU DP-Out (Min Spec 1.2) -> Motherboard (DP-In) -> Thunderbolt3 Out -> Thunderbolt 3 Multi-Monitor Hub

But I am worried that somewhere in the pipeline I described above, this signal might get down-cast to a single monitor by the motherboard and then routed through the TB3 output.

Any insight on this topic is appreciated! To add insult to injury, my monitors are actually HDMI monitors. But I think an active adaptor cable could handle this... My monitors are just standard 1080p 60hz so bandwidth shouldn't be a big concern. Anyway if anyone here's pulled this off in the past, I'd be interested in hearing about it! So I can begin my adventure with less doubt,

Here's an image from the ASRock website showing the IO
Here's the motherboard website