Question Does the Asus ROG Strix B365-F Support eSATA Hot Swapping?

DaveM1485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2021
I bought a Vantec NexStar JX HDD Enclosure with eSATA (NST-358SU3-BK) to use for a backup drive. I connected it with a back-panel feed-through to the 4th SATA connector on the motherboard. Is it safe to turn this enclosure on and off while the computer is on? The motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix B365-F Gaming. The enclosure also supports USB 3, but eSATA is faster. The computer dual boots Windows 10 22H2 and PCLinuxOS Debian Edition.

Thank You!

Lutfij

Titan
Is it safe to turn this enclosure on and off while the computer is on? The motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix B365-F Gaming.
In BIOS, where you can locate to your Storage Controller section, do you see the option to enable hotswap/hotplug, as stated in your motherboard manual;
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...MING_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B365-F GAMING
Pages 3-15 + 3-16 ?

If so, enable it and you should be good to go though I am curious on this;
I connected it with a back-panel feed-through to the 4th SATA connector on the motherboard.
Can you elaborate with a picture(or video) of it?

DaveM1485

Reputable
Sep 24, 2021
Is it safe to turn this enclosure on and off while the computer is on? The motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix B365-F Gaming.
In BIOS, where you can locate to your Storage Controller section, do you see the option to enable hotswap/hotplug, as stated in your motherboard manual;
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_B365-F_GAMING/E15319_ROG_STRIX_B365-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG STRIX B365-F GAMING
Pages 3-15 + 3-16 ?

If so, enable it and you should be good to go though I am curious on this;
I connected it with a back-panel feed-through to the 4th SATA connector on the motherboard.
Can you elaborate with a picture(or video) of it?
First, thank you for the link for the manual. I was not successful finding a copy on the Asus web site. I will check the BIOS settings.

The cable connects to the motherboard SATA socket and mounts to the case on the back panel where a PCIe card would mount. This is for a new backup drive. My previous eSATA drive does not support hot swap. The goal is to have the external drive powered up only when running a backup, the same as can be done with a USB drive.
816IuQvHEML._AC_SL1500_.jpg