Question Does the direction of the native 12VHPWR(16-pin) cable matter?

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
What the title says.
I got the vertex from seasonic and the 12vhpwr(16-pin) cable's both ends look identical to me.
The only difference between both sides is that one has a sticker and the other does not?
The port on the psu also looks the same as the gpu(unless there's a difference that I don't see)
Information about this is scarce and NOT straightforward about this, so my question is does it matter which side of the 12vhpwr(16-pin) cable I useor not?

Here is a picture btw:
20230412-165700.jpg

Thank you for your time and answer

Last edited by a moderator:

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I suppose if they implemented it on both ends, then it must not matter.

All the others I have seen are adapters from typical PSU modular connectors (by brand/OEM) to the 12VHPWR connector.
Well that's fine but i still don't feel confident about this so hence I'll ask, what would YOU do if you were in my position and how would you feel about the situation?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Knowing that the 12VHPWR connector is a pretty straight forward design of 6 12V+ and 6 GND wires that go straight through, plus 4 simple connections that indicate power availability to the GPU. Basically hard wired binary.

I would take a meter and measure from pin to pin. If it is straight through as I imagine it is, I would not hesitate to plug it in either way.

Not to mention the keying in the plastic. If it works both ways, they clearly intend that. Had to flip one of the connectors from your picture, but they do match exactly.

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I See.
Well I could provide more pictures if needed.
But anyway apart from.Are you suggesting that I should follow the pins of my cable from one side to the other if I'm not 100% certain about it? And if they match I can plug it in ether way right?
Forgive me if that came of as stupid, but I am not that knowledgeable on the matter.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If they are visible you can certainly do that. Though I know some of the OEM adapter designs have several of the pins bridged at the connector end anyway.

I'm saying if they wanted to prevent you from plugging it in the wrong way, they would have made the ends different. They didn't, so it is safe to assume it is a 1:1 wire to pin.

You can always ask Seasonic.

Would concur with @Eximo 's assessment. If they wanted you to plug it in a specific way, they'd make the ends physically different so they don't plug in one another. Another thing to note is if there's any big fat warnings about it in the manual. If there's not, then there's no harm in which way you plug it into.

However, the only real concern with this cable is how much it bends close to the connector. Most recommendations I've seen say to have a clearance of around 3cm if you're bending to a direction around 90 degrees from where it was going.

TRENDING THREADS