Does the elgato hd60 pro still use my GPU?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
From what I have researched the HD60 Pro is the only elgato product that works independantly of my GPU and that it does the rendering work for the capture. Is this true and if I have an HD 60 pro in my PC will it still use my GPU? I'm trying to avoid using my GPU for recording my game play. Would this be a viable option?

Solution

The hd60 pro works completely independently from your gpu. All it needs is some storage to write to and that is it (preferably not the hdd you are running the game from an ssd would be fine).

The hd60 pro works completely independently from your gpu. All it needs is some storage to write to and that is it (preferably not the hdd you are running the game from an ssd would be fine).

Solution

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

I just have one desktop for recording my game play. I've never streamed anything.
FYI, I did a little more research and found that this may not be a solution for me, since all capture cards depend on a rendering system whether it be a CPU in a desktop, laptop or a console. A beefier GPU and CPU is the order of the day I think. But it would be nice to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Understood. It appears your question hasn't been fully answered yet, but you are doing your homework! I'm building a dedicated server this weekend to host Killing Floor 2 servers and as a file server. I want to install the elgato and also use the server along side of my gaming machine dedicated to streaming. However I don't know if the server will need a graphics card or if the elgato and integrated graphics will be enough.

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014

This is outstanding news! I know someone who's getting one. ;)