[SOLVED] Does the game cause Harddisk to crash faster?

Oct 14, 2019
HI
My desktop have a separate internal HDD for gaming and it's broken every year (I've built my PC since 2017 and S.M.A.R.T. is warning me about reallocated sector so this year i'm going to get my 3rd HDD this year)
It's okay HDD is cheap and in warranty. but this make me curious because i have another HDD for work and it a same brand with gaming HDD and it's never broken.

So is it possible that game can cause a harddisk to crash faster?

Solution

Back in 2010, My hard disk used to crash a lot mostly when I was gaming however, in normal use, it didn't.
I figured out that it was the Power Supply. It was a mere 250W one if I remember correctly. And because I was already too late to figure this out, my MotherBoard was also compromised (probably because of the PSU). So I had to replace both.

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014

Back in 2010, My hard disk used to crash a lot mostly when I was gaming however, in normal use, it didn't.
I figured out that it was the Power Supply. It was a mere 250W one if I remember correctly. And because I was already too late to figure this out, my MotherBoard was also compromised (probably because of the PSU). So I had to replace both.

Reactions: j33p3l2
Solution

popatim

Titan
Not generally.
Generally anything that causes a power loss to the HDD is a prime factor.
Like crashing causing you to pull the pwoer cord or hold the power button in to force the PC to turn off can certainly cause that and more.
Brownouts/blackouts.