[SOLVED] Does the GPU need to sit fully in the PCI e slot?

Art123

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
UPDATE: I have since removed the USB 3.0 connection to the front panel (there was only one and I never used it) and the GPU is now fully sitting in the slot with the clip in.

Hi,

So basically I got a new Zotac Amp! Extreme edition GTX 980 ti recently and put it in my case, I have a micro ATX motherboard and the card currently sits over the slots at the bottom, which are the usb, and sata ports.

My problem is that the GPU does not fully fit into the mobo's PCI e slot while screwed to the case with the cables plugged, it's in but not fully. Everything works etc with no problems but is it an issue for it to only be half in basically, as in its fully in from the non clip side but not in the clip whatsoever.

And is the fat blue headed cable only for usb 3.0 on the front panel or all the usb's, as I am willing to sacrifice my 1 usb 3.0 on the front of it only leads to that.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

PS sorry for the horrendous writing, currently on my phone

Last edited:
As long as it works. It's probably fine.

Did you use the standoffs for the motherboard which came with the case? It sounds like the spacing is wrong. You can get a set of varied thickness standoffs to find the right spacing. Perhaps use thin washers to fine tune the spacing.

The only thing you need to determine first is if you case needs metric or standard threaded standoffs. Before buying a set of varying lengths.

Art123

Reputable
Oct 10, 2019
As long as it works. It's probably fine.

Did you use the standoffs for the motherboard which came with the case? It sounds like the spacing is wrong. You can get a set of varied thickness standoffs to find the right spacing. Perhaps use thin washers to fine tune the spacing.

The only thing you need to determine first is if you case needs metric or standard threaded standoffs. Before buying a set of varying lengths.

I used some of the standoffs but never put them all in, I do regret it now but at the time I just wanted to get the build done, will deffo at some point in the future do a quick once over.

Thank you for the advice on the GPU, I am going to take the USB 3.0 cable out and give the GPU a little more breathing room so it can fit in better

TRENDING THREADS