Question Does the height, width, or depth of a graphics card matter?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
The specifications of many computer cases do indicate the maximum length of graphics card that they can accept (e.g. "290 mm GPU clearance"). However, graphics cards are three-dimensional objects that have length, width, and height. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 for example has a height of 4.37 inches (11.0998 cm). This card is also two-slots wide. I am afraid that a computer case that I choose is long enough but not wide or tall enough to support certain graphics cards. May I know if the height or width of a graphics card matter when choosing a computer case?

The height can matter for unusually narrow cases, especially if the PCIe power connector is on the "top" (common placement) which adds another 5/8" to the required clearance between the mobo and side panel of the case.
The width doesn't matter, slots are easy to count and most/ all cases have 2 expansion slots.

Very simple.

So if this GPU takes up 2 slots, assume then your setup will need be fitted with 2 CARDS FULL LENGTH. So if u have one of them single-slot ITX Mobos and your double-width card is gonna be hanging out the ledge and there is no gap whatsoever between Mobo and case, then you cannot use.

Expansion cards are either full height or half height. 99% your GPU is a full height card. This is very obvious. Half height cases are midgets and hard to miss.

Last edited:

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I have browsed through YouTube and PCpartpicker.com. I think I shall buy either the Thermaltake Versa H17 because they are still affordable (1 USD is about MYR 4.15 it is still acceptable since my budget for a computer case is under MYR 200). This Thermaltake case has been used by a few people to build rigs with either the GTX 1660 and GTX 1660Ti (I may get this instead because a shopkeeper told me that it has a better price/performance value and pairs well with my desired microprocessor; Intel Core i5-9400F).