Does the i5 8600k support quad channel memory on asrock z370sli a.c.

Solution
You can read up on the specs of any Intel CPU here : https://ark.intel.com/#@Processors
Most i5 motherboards support 4 sticks of DDR4, but in a dual-Channel configuration. This means that the CPU reads from 2 memory sticks at a time. In a quad channel setup, the CPU will read from 4 sticks of memory at a time. Each stick provides 64 bits of data to the CPU. So, you can see that a quad-channel CPU will require more pins than a dual channel. This is why CookieMania66 pointed out that this is not a feature of most desktop CPUs. What is your application ? Most games are GPU bound, not CPU bound, so most of us spend money on our GPUs.
Sep 13, 2018

What about the i5 7640x

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
You can read up on the specs of any Intel CPU here : https://ark.intel.com/#@Processors
Most i5 motherboards support 4 sticks of DDR4, but in a dual-Channel configuration. This means that the CPU reads from 2 memory sticks at a time. In a quad channel setup, the CPU will read from 4 sticks of memory at a time. Each stick provides 64 bits of data to the CPU. So, you can see that a quad-channel CPU will require more pins than a dual channel. This is why CookieMania66 pointed out that this is not a feature of most desktop CPUs. What is your application ? Most games are GPU bound, not CPU bound, so most of us spend money on our GPUs.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Disagree. Both cpu and gpu are equally as important including ram.

Most games to this day require a decent cpu to feed the gpu and also adequate ram capacity is also required to buffer vram + other game related data.

Nowadays people are heeding 144Hz monitors. With graphics cards today, a cpu needs to keep up otherwise it'll just run into high usages. 2nd gen i7's are outpacing modern i5 4c 4t cpus because of Hyperthreading and this is in both 1080p and 1440p at high frame rates of and around ~100fps. 60Hz/60fps the bottleneck isn't so bad.

System ram is another matter. 8GB ram was plenty back in the day when we only had 2GB vram cards. Now we have 6GB+ cards. On top of that, games are increasingly getting bigger and denser in quality, 8GB ram is just not enough. The OS consumes 2GB, that leaves 6GB ram for vram buffer and game data, it's not enough so pagefile gets used and it can get to whopping sizes of 10GB or more. 16GB ram is preferred now.

TRENDING THREADS