Does the input for waterblock matter?

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I have a Phanteks 1080 FTW waterblock, and it tells me to use the left hole as input. If I use the left side as input I would have to do a 180 degree turn with 16mm OD tubing in side an Itx Case, just so I can get pass the right output. I just want to know if I can just use the right as input and the left as output?

Solution
Unless your waterflow in the loop is very low then no. There might be a small temprature difference 2 - 5 celcius, and you will never hit the thermal limit of the card before you run into volt limits if you are planing to OC the card.

You can how ever create some turbulence if flow is low and that will show as heat building up on the GPU and you can combat that by turning up the RPM on the pump to kinda force the turbulence to calm down. But this hardly ever happens so should not be a problem.

Using inlet as inlet is optimal but not necessary.
Unless your waterflow in the loop is very low then no. There might be a small temprature difference 2 - 5 celcius, and you will never hit the thermal limit of the card before you run into volt limits if you are planing to OC the card.

You can how ever create some turbulence if flow is low and that will show as heat building up on the GPU and you can combat that by turning up the RPM on the pump to kinda force the turbulence to calm down. But this hardly ever happens so should not be a problem.

Using inlet as inlet is optimal but not necessary.

Solution
It depends on the waterblock. My Heatkiller block is also specific about it. Looking at the internals in the plexi top, it makes sense. The actual affect on temps would vary though depending on rest of setup. Like mentioned above, it should work, but not ideal.

If you have to reverse the flow of either the CPU or GPU... Pick the GPU and NOT the cpu cause most of them have jet plates ( tell us what kind of CPU waterblock you have ) and reversing flow on that kind of waterblock is worse than reversing flow on a GPU block.

When it comes to your radiator it all depends on the brand and model. Some no, some yes.
List the name and model of your radiator and we can tell you.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I forgot, I also I think I put my CPU block upside down since on the manual the rgb connectors are on the right while mine are on the left. Maybe that can reverse the reversed water flow, if that makes sense?

The Alphacool radiator you have it does not matter what you use as inlet and outlet.

If you look at your input / output on the cpu block. The port that is closest to the center are input. The port that is furthest from the center is outlet.

And why you build a system to run both the GPU and CPU block in reverse is something I really cant understand.
The GPU block alright since it can only go on 1 way. The cpu block you can turn 90 degree 4 times so you will always be able to get the inlet / outlet the way you want and still use the correct inlet / outlet.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

I didn't really notice until I started to bend tubes. the holes are both equal length apart.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM, it has a molex and a fan connector thing.

According to this picture from phantek's website, There is no inlet or out on the cpu block since they are using the left side on the Red Led one, and right on blue Led one.
http://imgur.com/a/xxA5k

To answer CPU block first: With most blocks when the inlet / outlet are spaced the same away from the center that normaly means you can use whatever port you want as inlet and outlet since the flow will be the same from either side.

Pump: Hehe the fan connector "thing" is just to give signal on / off to the pump + the PWM signal telling it what RPM to run at.
Now you connect the molex to the PSU ofcourse. Then you can plug the fan connector into any fan header, AIO header, water pump header, High Amp header, Cpu header, etc etc etc ( you get what I mean. )
Only thing you need to do is to make sure whatever header you plug it into has the ability to controll a PWM signal ( you set that in your bios. Swap from DC to PWM if DC is set as default )
That way the pump get its power from the molex, and just a turn on / off + what rpm it should be running at so it dont have to run at full speed from the 4-pin.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

Thanks A Lot! I really appreciate your help. :) Which One should I pick as answer?

TRENDING THREADS