Question Does the L3 cache affect gaming in any way?...

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017
so here is a question that's been bothering me

Does the L3 Cache affect gaming?

What do i mean by that?
-In gaming what is the difference when having NO L3 Cache and having like 6mb of L3 cache
-does the higher size of L3 cache affect the FPS(frames per second)- (if so by how much?)
-Should i consider upgrading my CPU if it's missing the L3 Cache (i am considering playing some of the AAA titles)

Can someone please answer my questions i will be thankful :D

so here is a question that's been bothering me

Does the L3 Cache affect gaming?

What do i mean by that?
-In gaming what is the difference when having NO L3 Cache and having like 6mb of L3 cache
-does the higher size of L3 cache affect the FPS(frames per second)- (if so by how much?)
-Should i consider upgrading my CPU if it's missing the L3 Cache (i am considering playing some of the AAA titles)

Can someone please answer my questions i will be thankful :D

All levels of cache effect speed, but it's not a case of 1MB = 5% increase in FPS.

Except in probably a very few very very special cases there will be a much bigger difference in the rest of the processor between one that does not have any L3 cache and one that does. So the better question is what is the difference between your two processors in general, what are they?

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017
All levels of cache effect speed, but it's not a case of 1MB = 5% increase in FPS.

Except in probably a very few very very special cases there will be a much bigger difference in the rest of the processor between one that does not have any L3 cache and one that does. So the better question is what is the difference between your two processors in general, what are they?

the 2 processors are
AMD Athlon II x4 620 (no L3 Cache)
AMD Phenom II x4 960t (black edition) (L3=6mb)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cache memory, also called CPU memory, is high-speed static random access memory (SRAM) that a computer microprocessor can access more quickly than it can access regular random access memory (RAM). This memory is typically integrated directly into the CPU chip or placed on a separate chip that has a separate businterconnect with the CPU. The purpose of cache memory is to store program instructions and data that are used repeatedly in the operation of programs or information that the CPU is likely to need next. The computer processor can access this information quickly from the cache rather than having to get it from computer's main memory. Fast access to these instructions increases the overall speed of the program.

So basically, when you have game instructions like 'space bar = shoot' they get stored in the L-cache for instant repeated usage. Cpus without L-cache go 'huh, what does space bar mean, hold on, lemme go find it'....

Zaiboo

Reputable
May 16, 2017
So basically, when you have game instructions like 'space bar = shoot' they get stored in the L-cache for instant repeated usage. Cpus without L-cache go 'huh, what does space bar mean, hold on, lemme go find it'....
Can the missing of L3 cache be the cause of my Stuttering in games

So basically what happens is the game stutters when first time using the Space Bar, Rotating the camera and other stuff (stutters during the first time entering in the game)