Does the LG24GM77 not have speakers?

DWillyEfect

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I tried plugging my speakers and a headset into the headphones port, but they're completely silent. I dont understand what the function of that jack is for since it is 100% silent with speakers and a headset even if the volume is set all the way up on my PC and on the monitor,

I guess I'm going to return it, I could probably deal with it if it output audio through my speakers even though I wanted to get rid of them and free up some space on my desk. But I can't make them function with this monitor.

USAFRet

Titan

How are you connected to the monitor? HDMI? Have you told Windows to use the HDMI out to be the audio source?

USAFRet

Titan

If you are connecting the PC to the monitor via DVI....you're not getting audio over that.
Normal DVI does not transmit audio.

DWillyEfect

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
My motherboard does not have a displayport, but it does have HDMI, could I use a HDMI to Displayport cable, maintain the visual quality and gain audio? I really want to reserve my two HDMI outputs for something else, but I cant figure out how to get audio without unplugging the cord from the monitor to the PC when I switch from HDMI to DVI.

I was able to get the audio out to work with HDMI.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looking at the Input/Output specifications of your monitor, it does not appear to have any other audio inputs other than HDMI. As USAFRet already stated, DVI does not (normally) carry audio. While I agree that probably the easier option would be to return the monitor for a display with multiple HDMI inputs and speakers, you could get this working if you could use an HDMI output from your PC. Of course, that would depend on whether or not your PC has an available HDMI output, or if you could add one by upgrading your graphics solution.

If I might ask, what motherboard and graphics card do you have (or what make and model PC do you have if not a custom build)?

-Wolf sends

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012

Not from mobo, but nearly all modern graphic cards output audio through DVI, yes?

I know this doesn't help his question, but I just wanted to clarify that for myself.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not from mobo, but nearly all modern graphic cards output audio through DVI, yes?

As far as I know, it's really dependent on the card. If the card natively has an HDMI output, there's no real need to set up the DVI output to carry audio as well. I figure it's safe to say that it doesn't since most modern cards carry an HDMI output.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

Since DisplayPort carries audio as well, you should be able to run a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and get audio that way. I will admit, however, that I've never used a DisplayPort output, so I cannot speak to the audio or visual quality.

-Wolf sends

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012

That's true. What's the point when the card also has HDMI. Reason I asked was I recently hooked up my 6870 to my TV while tinkering around with stuff. I wasn't even trying to get audio, but when sound came out I was stunned (DVI to HDMI on tv). I didn't even know DVI could send audio. Apparently some graphic cards can, but like you were saying... what's the point with HDMI outputs. In any case, thanks.

-Snook sends

DWillyEfect

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

No GPU but my motherboard is a MSI Z87-G45 GAMING.

Are there any 24", 144hz, 1ms response monitors with DVI, 2x HDMI and built in audio monitors out?

DWillyEfect

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
After looking around, I would like to keep this monitor, but I'm trying to see if I can make it work.

Could I get a splitter for a 3.5mm port and an extender , plug one into my monitor and get audio from the HDMI and one into my PC when I'm using DVI?

Wolfshadw

Titan
The only way to get audio to your monitor is through either the DisplayPort input or one of the HDMI inputs. If you do not want to connect your PC to one of the monitor's HDMI inputs, you will need to use an HDMI to DisplayPort cable to connect your PC's HDMI output to your monitor's DisplayPort input. Also, make sure you set your motherboard's HDMI audio out as the default audio selection.

-Wolf sends