Question Does the MacBook Pro USB C charger (61W) output 20V, 9V, or 5.2V when not connected to an Apple device?

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I have a USB C to microUSB to connect my MacBook charger to my Android phone and Bose QC35. As the phone's data protocol is different than Apple's (thus cannot tell the charger to change voltage), and the headphones have no data communication at all (except for firmware updates, thus also cannot tell the charger to step up/down), what voltage do they output when no communication exists? I'm worried I might fry them when connected.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Measure with multimeter?

Contact Apple and ask them?

Safest would be measuring yourself, since even when someone gives you an answer, they may have different revision charger, which may behave differently.
If you don't know how to measure yourself (or doesn't have multimeter), take your charger to any electrician, or PC repair shop, and ask them to measure it for you. They have the multimeter and know-how to use it.

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Measure with multimeter?

Contact Apple and ask them?

Safest would be measuring yourself, since even when someone gives you an answer, they may have different revision charger, which may behave differently.
If you don't know how to measure yourself (or doesn't have multimeter), take your charger to any electrician, or PC repair shop, and ask them to measure it for you. They have the multimeter and know-how to use it.
Are there USB-C to alligator clips adapters available? I only see USB-A to alligator clips online. I need the two alligator clips before I can measure to reduce the chance of an accidental short.

The output voltage depends on the power delivery, which must be negotiated between the charger and the device. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery
  • <15W: 5V (This is the default output. Compliant chargers will always start here)
  • 15-27W: 9V
  • 27-46W: 15V
  • 46-100W: 20V
For a USB-C to USB Micro-B connection, it'll always be 5V and limited to 3A (or 15W of power). USB-C contains pins that negotiate higher power that older USB connectors do not provide.

Also Apple isn't doing anything proprietary here. Otherwise they'd be in deep doodoo. Case in point I can fast charge my Android phone using my iPad Mini charger.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also Apple isn't doing anything proprietary here. Otherwise they'd be in deep doodoo.

Yet, when EU put out a legislation, whereby all chargeable devices must use the same, universal port (USB-C), to reduce the e-waste all those proprietary connectors produced, Apple was 1st to object the new ruling, by saying:"the rules would limit innovation and hurt consumers".
Further reading: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...cing-hassle-for-consumers-and-curbing-e-waste

So, if there is no issue, then why fight what is good for people and environment?

But that's sidetracking and i'll end it here.

Yet, when EU put out a legislation, whereby all chargeable devices must use the same, universal port (USB-C), to reduce the e-waste all those proprietary connectors produced, Apple was 1st to object the new ruling, by saying:"the rules would limit innovation and hurt consumers".
Further reading: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news...cing-hassle-for-consumers-and-curbing-e-waste

So, if there is no issue, then why fight what is good for people and environment?

But that's sidetracking and i'll end it here.
Yes I'm aware of Apple's whining about being forced to adopt USB-C. That comment was more about OP's concern:

As the phone's data protocol is different than Apple's (thus cannot tell the charger to change voltage)...

Apple's USB-C based chargers are mostly USB-PD compliant, meaning they'll work with any USB-PD device. Though in some chargers Apple chose not to implement some power profiles (the 60W charger for instance doesn't support 15V). And even then the default voltage out of a USB-PD charger is 5V.