[SOLVED] Does the maximum resolution of my monitor affect FPS?

Apr 4, 2020
This question may sound weird, but I wasn't exactly sure how to word it. To be more precise the issue is as follows: The monitor I currently use is a very old 15 inch 1024x768 monitor, but the FPS i get in games is similar or sometimes a few percent lower than the FPS people bench marking on YouTube get with the same or worse specs at 1080p resolutions. I was wondering if the native resolution of my monitor affects the FPS output or should I be getting way higher FPS?

Solution
The resolution you are currently set to affects FPS, as long as the GPU is the limiting factor in your performance. Lowering the resolution should increase your FPS, until the GPU isn't being maxed out anymore, then lowering the resolution further won't increase FPS anymore.
The resolution you are currently set to affects FPS, as long as the GPU is the limiting factor in your performance. Lowering the resolution should increase your FPS, until the GPU isn't being maxed out anymore, then lowering the resolution further won't increase FPS anymore.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 4, 2020
My games are more cpu intensive which is why i think there might be an issue. I play games such as CSGO, VAlorant and Fortnite

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Obviously depends on the games you play, have you uncapped the FPS output in there command lines such as CSGO for example - fps_max 0 for it to be unlimted ? but as you say the CPU could be the bottleneck for you .... "You can have a great GPU but if the CPU is not up to par, you will see the massive impact

Apr 4, 2020
Obviously depends on the games you play, have you uncapped the FPS output in there command lines such as CSGO for example - fps_max 0 for it to be unlimted ? but as you say the CPU could be the bottleneck for you .... "You can have a great GPU but if the CPU is not up to par, you will see the massive impact
yeah i have uncapped fps, but is it possible for the cpu to be bottle-necking if my GPU is better than it?