[SOLVED] Does the memory MHz matter and does dual/quad channel memory matter?

I've watched so many youtube videos and they all say MHz in memory doesn't really matter is it better to go for cheaper memory or go for 3000MHz+? because I wanna know if it matters so I can downgrade If I need to or if 3200MHz is worth going to instead of 3000

and does dual / quad channel memory actually do anything and is it worth it?

Reactions: Luke Dawn
Solution
Dual channel interleaved mode does give you enhanced operating speeds over single channel mode; and quad channel mode is much better--when it's given the correct memory to work with.

Buy matched pairs for dual channel modes, and matched 4 DIMM sets for quad channel modes.

You can get away with two matched pairs for quad channel operation, but it is not a situation where you will have a guarantee from the memory manufacturer if it doesn't work-out for you. Always better to buy a 3-DIMM set, if your goal is quad channel operation.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you are buying RAM for a Ryzen build then Speed and Cl (CAS latency) matter quite a bit. 3000 to 3200 cl14 RAM has been shown to give the best overall system performance.
I don't believe the performance difference of using faster RAM on an Intel rig is anywhere near as big.

Reactions: Luke Dawn
If you are buying RAM for a Ryzen build then Speed and Cl (CAS latency) matter quite a bit. 3000 to 3200 cl14 RAM has been shown to give the best overall system performance.
I don't believe the performance difference of using faster RAM on an Intel rig is anywhere near as big.
Alright thanks I will stick with 3000MHz what about dual and quad channel memory?

Dual channel interleaved mode does give you enhanced operating speeds over single channel mode; and quad channel mode is much better--when it's given the correct memory to work with.

Buy matched pairs for dual channel modes, and matched 4 DIMM sets for quad channel modes.

You can get away with two matched pairs for quad channel operation, but it is not a situation where you will have a guarantee from the memory manufacturer if it doesn't work-out for you. Always better to buy a 3-DIMM set, if your goal is quad channel operation.

Solution
Ok, first of all, you do not have quad channel you have 4 dimms (2xdual channel) which is different. A quad channel has 8 dimm slots (2xquad channel), for amd the Threaripper has quad channel. 2nd if i would build an amd computer i woudl go with g skill flare x, they guarantee compatibility and speed for an amd build.
The advantage having 2x dual channel you dont need 4 matching sticks, you need 2 an2 2, you can buy separte kits of dual channel, but it must be same speed and same latency.

Ok, first of all, you do not have quad channel you have 4 dimms (2xdual channel) which is different. A quad channel has 8 dimm slots (2xquad channel), for amd the Threaripper has quad channel. 2nd if i would build an amd computer i woudl go with g skill flare x, they guarantee compatibility and speed for an amd build.
The advantage having 2x dual channel you dont need 4 matching sticks, you need 2 an2 2, you can buy separte kits of dual channel, but it must be same speed and same latency.
Ah I see thanks for educating me