[SOLVED] Does the monitor make a big difference?

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
I have a desktop running on an Nvidia GTX 760 card, I'm using the display port to a MSI Microstep G271 monitor. My concern(?)/problem is when I hook it up to my 10 year old Sony LCD TV not only does the picture look better, but the game Civ VI seems to display more. For example, when a Warrior is displayed on my G271, it's one guy with a club. When it's on the Sony, it's three guys running across the landscape. Another difference is that on the Sony you can see clouds drift by and waves splashing on the shore. You never see that on the G271.

It's the same system plugged into both, so, is it a setting on my monitor I should check or is the old LCD TV just a better monitor?

Solution
The monitor doesn't determine the graphics quality of the game. Check your in-game settings when you have one plugged in or the other. Also make sure you're viewing the same exact thing at the same exact view distance or camera angle or whatever.

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
I just take the graphics card down to the other TV, same MOBO, same cable, same game the only difference is the TV/Monitor. I have just rebuilt the system and loaded a virgin copy of steam and Civ VI, then turned up all the game settings to the max.

Either way, as far as I know, games don't magically change their quality based on which monitor is connected to it. You're welcome to take and share pictures of what you're seeing, but the monitor literally doesn't make a difference to games outside of screen resolution and refresh rate.

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
I spent the morning doing all sorts of swapping of parts and have come to the conclusion that the matter has to do with the MOBO. Seems the ASUS Gryphon Z87 handles the graphics better than the Gigabyte Z97 version, or there is some setting the I haven't found that needs to be tweeked. Anyway, it isn't a big issue and I'll end up replacing the system in the next year so I'm not worried. Life will go on.

bub sweetham

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2013
OK, feel like and idiot now. The problem is that when the game installed 1 copy had strategic view turned on and the other copy it was turned off.
3 days of farting around, but at least I did learn a few things. You can teach an old dog new tricks.