Does the motherboard PCI slot matter?

maximaxi3

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
So recently i upgraded my computer case, and I decided I would move my graphics card to the 3rd PCI slot on the Mobo, just because it would be easier with cables and also because i have a heatsink somewhat in the way. After turning my computer back on I didnt have any problems with my computer, however when I play Wow, I have noticed that I cant get a good framerate unless I set it to the lowest settings, despite being able to have max settings and running a solid 60-90 fps before. I'm making this post because I'm unsure as to wether the PCI slot switching is the problem, or if it is a problem with Wow, there was a patch between when I last played and when I upgraded, and that might be the problem, but I wanted to be sure it wasnt something hardware wise.
Btw. I have the latest drivers and my Mobo is an Asus P8P67 Evo and my GPU is an XFX DD Radeon 7950 HD Black Edition.
Here is a picture of my mobo, I'm currently using the black slot at the bottom:
product_overview.jpg

Solution
The blue slot probably runs at 16x and the other ones probably runs at 8x, and you put your card into the wrong/slow one. Stuff works, just not fully. It's likely crippled.

Edit - even worse. 4x.

From Asus site:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
The blue slot probably runs at 16x and the other ones probably runs at 8x, and you put your card into the wrong/slow one. Stuff works, just not fully. It's likely crippled.

Edit - even worse. 4x.

From Asus site:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

Solution

maximaxi3

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Omg... shoulda seen that.. thanks man :)