Does the Motherboard quality really affect GPU OC much?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
So when I had a heavily modified OEM system with a garbage mobo and tried to OC my RX 480 4GB MSI Gaming X, it did not have great results. The normal boost is 1303mhz and 1750mhz on the memory. A while back I was trying to OC it and running a short benchmark each time. The computer would require a restart when I did not go that high like 1330 / 1780.

Now I have a new system with ryzen 2600 and an MSI Tomahawk B-450. I randomly tried it again today and have significantly better results that actually increase my performance. I can get a stable 1380 on the core and 1900 on the memory w/o even needing to tweak the voltage at all. Is this a common thing if your motherboard sucks?

I suppose it's possible if the PCIe slot power delivery wasn't quite up to spec on the OEM mobo. You're pushing your GPU pretty hard, so any small weaknesses could cause the house to crumble.
Do you have a new case with better airflow? That could also be helping.

OEM motherboards are designed to a certain price/performance profile. If you start to go beyond that then results can be limited. Aftermarket MB versions that are designed for overclocking will have better cooling, and more/better components. Sometimes newer, more eficient parts can allow OEM comuters to have a longer useful life. But overclocking and raising the power used usually doesn't work very well. It's possible your OEM PSU was reaching it's limits.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

yeah a really nice one that is super cool, but the gpu never really got warm in the old one.

PSU was a corsair cx750m, same one i'm still using.

in that case it may have just been the CPU in your OEM build holding your GPU back. it's still possible the mobo was too or a combination of both

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

yeah an i5 4460 works well, but definitely bottlenecks sometimes. it's nice seeing cpu usage always at like 30 to 50% while GPU usage is at 100%. Just waiting on a 590 or 2060, which is part of what made me look into how much I can OC it. Initially I was sold because going from a 480 @ 1303 / 1750 to a 590 is going to gain 30-50% fps, but if I can gain 10-20% from an OC that might be just enough to help with a couple games like that come close to 60fps on higher settings and buy time to see what a 2060 is going to do.