[SOLVED] does the reset this PC feature on windows let you choose a different drive to install windows on?

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018
I need to reinstall windows on my new nvme ssd and I need to know if the reset this PC feature let you choose a different drive or it installs on the original drive. One of the options when going through with this lets you keep personal data but I'm not sure if you can install windows onto a different drive. If this feature doesn't let you choose a different drive to install windows onto then I need to find another way to install windows onto a different drive without erasing my personal data since its much too large to transfer it onto a cloud. Thank you!!

Solution
yeah thought so. What I'm thinking I could do now is move my personal data from my C onto my 970, wipe my C, then reinstall windows onto the 970. The thing I'm not sure about is if you can install windows onto a drive with data already present on it. Can you install windows on a drive with data on it?
The installation will wipe out what is on it.

Install on the 970, with ONLY the 970 connected.

The old drive will still have all your personal data on it.
You can access it and move data as desired.

You'll have to delve into TakeOwnership, because those files are likely in the Libraries, and permission restricted to the old User.

Applications, of course, will have to be reinstalled.

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018
No it does not.

What specific hardware is involved here?
Drives, motherboard, etc, etc.
How much space is consumed on the current C drive?

Cloning might be an option.
damn I was really hoping for it to let you choose another drive. Cloning isn't an option since my nvme is a 970 evo pro 500gb and my C where windows is installed drive is a 3tb HDD with almost 2TBs consumed on it. Realistically I need maybe 200-250GBS max of personal data to transfer over after I restart and I don't exactly want to spend money on a upgraded cloud storage since i'm using it only once.

USAFRet

Titan
damn I was really hoping for it to let you choose another drive. Cloning isn't an option since my nvme is a 970 evo pro 500gb and my C where windows is installed drive is a 3tb HDD with almost 2TBs consumed on it. Realistically I need maybe 200-250GBS max of personal data to transfer over after I restart and I don't exactly want to spend money on a upgraded cloud storage since i'm using it only once.
Not gonna work.

1. You can't "reset" to a different drive.
  2. You really can't clone 2TB data into a 500GB drive.

Your options would seem to be...none.

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018
Not gonna work.

1. You can't "reset" to a different drive.
  2. You really can't clone 2TB data into a 500GB drive.
Your options would seem to be...none.
yeah thought so. What I'm thinking I could do now is move my personal data from my C onto my 970, wipe my C, then reinstall windows onto the 970. The thing I'm not sure about is if you can install windows onto a drive with data already present on it. Can you install windows on a drive with data on it?

USAFRet

Titan

You'll have to delve into TakeOwnership, because those files are likely in the Libraries, and permission restricted to the old User.

Solution

denysk

Commendable
May 20, 2018

Okay that seems like a good approach. So what about the old windows files, program files, (86x), and all of those other files I will no longer necessarily need since its a fresh install and windows is located on another drive? Can I just straight up delete all of them?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay that seems like a good approach. So what about the old windows files, program files, (86x), and all of those other files I will no longer necessarily need since its a fresh install and windows is located on another drive? Can I just straight up delete all of them?
Ideally, you move all the data you wish to keep off that drive, and then delete ALL existing partitions.
Format it, and use as desired.

You could go through and delete folder by folder, but you WILL leave some stuff behind. Much more of pain.