[SOLVED] Does the RTX 3070 require 2 PCIE connectors on your PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Does the RTX 3070 require 2 PCIE connectors on your PSU? I'm not sure what the exact word for it is, but does your PSU need 2 PCIE "outlets" for a 3070's 12 pin connector adapter?

Solution
Does the RTX 3070 require 2 PCIE connectors on your PSU? I'm not sure what the exact word for it is, but does your PSU need 2 PCIE "outlets" for a 3070's 12 pin connector adapter?

Yes and yes. If your PSU doesn't actually have two eight-pin PCIE connectors in 2020, either it's positively ancient or manifestly inapproporiate for powering an RTX 3070. Some of the board partner 3070s work with a six-pin and an eight-pin instead of two eight-pins or two eight-pins into the 12-pin adapter, but again, if your PSU doesn't have two eight-pin PCIE connectors, it shouldn't be used here.

DSzymborski

Titan

Yes and yes. If your PSU doesn't actually have two eight-pin PCIE connectors in 2020, either it's positively ancient or manifestly inapproporiate for powering an RTX 3070. Some of the board partner 3070s work with a six-pin and an eight-pin instead of two eight-pins or two eight-pins into the 12-pin adapter, but again, if your PSU doesn't have two eight-pin PCIE connectors, it shouldn't be used here.

Solution

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
So a single pcie cable that branches out into 2 won’t work?

InvalidError

Titan
In theory yes but not having at least 2 pcie power cables raises alarms bells about the suitability of the psu.
Plenty of high(-ish)-power PSUs have dual connectors on some of their PCIe cables for people who want to minimize cable clutter. As long as the cables are properly made, it isn't an issue since high-current miniFitJr are rated for 13A, which is about 450W between the three 12V pins on 6/8-pins AUX cables.

Reactions: norcalsc
Plenty of high(-ish)-power PSUs have dual connectors on some of their PCIe cables for people who want to minimize cable clutter. As long as the cables are properly made, it isn't an issue since high-current miniFitJr are rated for 13A, which is about 450W between the three 12V pins on 6/8-pins AUX cables.
That’s wasn’t my concern. My concern was if this psu only had a single pcie power cable. That would be a flag as anything good enough for this system should have at least 2. The psu the OP is looking at actually has 2 pcie cables each with 2 x 6+2.

Status
Not open for further replies.